Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Double vs single glazed saloon windows?

Can anyone tell me a good reason why, when they made my boat they put single glazed windows on the sides of the deck saloon and double glazed on the front three windows?

Top photo is the double and bottom the single. As you can see the double fits better, whereas getting a good seal on the single glazed ones is difficult. They also get condensation on them more easily than the double glazed. Thoughts?

0399E5E1-5F26-4309-94E8-26DE2897A379.jpeg
    www.Chasing-Contours.com - A circumnavigation by boat, bikes, climbing & paragliding

Default Re: Double vs single glazed saloon windows?

Shape?

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Shape?
    All different with rounded edges. None are exactly rectangular or square.

www.Chasing-Contours.com - A circumnavigation by boat, bikes, climbing & paragliding

My boat also had double glazed front, and single glazed side windows, on the deck saloon. Odd shapes made it very expensive, but the complete reduction of condensation has made it well worth while, changing to double glazing on the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    My boat also had double glazed front, and single glazed side windows, on the deck saloon. Odd shapes made it very expensive, but the complete reduction of condensation has made it well worth while, changing to double glazing on the sides.
    Did you find it difficult to find someone to make you up double glazed windows bespoke?

Quote Originally Posted by northcave View Post
    Did you find it difficult to find someone to make you up double glazed windows bespoke?
    I dealt with a crowd called Seaglaze Marine Windows. They did a good enough job, but weren't the easiest people to work with, and they were HORRENDOUSLY expensive.

When I got my new to me boat, the seal had gone on two of the forward windows, the outer ones, so oddly shaped. I took the frames out, and asked a local glazier to get double glazed units made to suit. No bother, and very cheap. I couldn't do the same for the side ones, because the existing alloy frames could not accept the thickness of the double glazed units. Hope this helps.

I recently got a sealed unit for my back lavatory (at home) and was pleasantly surprised at the price from Monkmoor Glass and Glazing.

I wonder if the double glazing used on boats is specifically stronger than normal double glazing from a domestic supplier? I do have storm boards on my boat but I'd still want my normal windows to be as strong as possible.

Perhaps because with an inside steering position it is more important to see where you are going. After all, on a car you only get windscreen wipers on the front but not the side.

Quote Originally Posted by IanL View Post
    Perhaps because with an inside steering position it is more important to see where you are going. After all, on a car you only get windscreen wipers on the front but not the side.
    Indeed. A simple but fair point!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast