Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trim ram headaches.

I needed to replace both trim rams. Done. One was leaking through the hydraulic line connection. Replaced. That one I very gingerly connected the first hydraulic hose with fingers only. Felt bit "sticky" but turned in 3 or so turns before I realised it was cross threaded. Took it out to start again, not a spanner in sight let alone used, but the damage was done and no matter what I did I could not get it to thread correctly thereafter. Had a look at the first failed unit. Yep, it was cross threaded and had happily gone down 3/4 of the way down the thread before the angle brought it to a full stop hence not mating correctly with olive and leaking albeit the olive was snug and tight.

I promise on my mother's grave I have a 99.9% success rate on never cross threading bolts. That's numpty territory. I am also not built like a gorilla that I should be able to damage the threads cross threading finger tight. Yet that is what I have done twice. So onto my third ram, is there any sort of trick or knack peculiar to these rams and their hydraulic fitting DPG /DPE because there is always some tension on the hydraulic lines encouraging one to get it wrong? You know because if I cross thread the third one I will only have 2 spare new left (emergency spares bought in a fit of outrage, yes that six rams now but if unused will go towards my other drive) and will probably throw a match into the boat to put me out of my misery.
    Numpty or trick to it?

Default Re: Trim ram headaches.

Unfortunately all the pic links are dead in the thread below, and I can't edit it to fix the links.
    But I seem to remember supporting the ram to be in roughly the "right" place so things weren't at an angle, then being very gentle with the nut.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...-DP-E-Trim-Ram

Yes tried getting the angles right, even removed the earthing wire clip to aid movement. I must be a numpty. Thing is I'm a bit scared of repeating the error third time round as I cant figure how to do anything different. The ali threads in the ram are fine and not very robust.

Could you helicoil the damaged threads and re-use the rams?

I've sent the damaged units off to a hydraulic firm to see what they can do. But they are confident it's an easy job. My problem is my boat has a set date for lift-in on Monday in as it's a group lift in. Any delays could see me on the hard until the next time the crane comes to service the hard and that would be a month delay and cause chaos not to mention losing my Easter cruise as I am mid way down the lot. Buying rams ensures next day delivery so work is not impeded for too long. But it's not going well tbh. This maintenance season has been nothing but grief with a capital G.

edit: my own fault really. I took on way too many jobs this year

Sorry to hear that Bruce.

Get towed over here and I’ll lend a hand

I’m going for a run Wednesday so should have a boost report for your other thread.

Without the port outdrive on she'll sink! Save on matches I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post

I’m going for a run Wednesday so should have a boost report for your other thread.
    Keep pouring that salt fella.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Without the port outdrive on she'll sink! Save on matches I suppose.

Keep pouring that salt fella.
    Sorry Bruce....I could be crying into my milk soon enough

Hi - I purchased the complete Power Trim Installation Kit for my SP-A Sterndrive.
    Apologies if you already have the instructions that came with the kit but it may be worth repeating a couple of lines from them:

Install the pipes and the hoses on the hydraulic cylinders, prior to installing the cylinders in the transom shield. Do not tighten the connections.
    Install the hoses on the transom shield using the nuts and washers.
    Attach the hoses from the hydraulic pump.
    Raise and lower the cylinders and check that the hoses and pipes are installed properly. Press the hoses against the starboard cylinder and tighten simultaneously the hose and pipe connections. Also tighten the connections of the port cylinder.

Once again apologies if you know this already.

Thanks. That oprion is not easily available to me without removing one of the trim rams. Sounds easy enough but dismantling an engine to do it is one helluva job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast