Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do these anodes need replaced?

Hi all
    Can someone tell me if I should replace these anodes? I'm not sure if they are considered done or not. Prop one I think yes but the hull one I have no idea
    Thank youResizer_15535837120480.jpgResizer_15535837120481.jpg

Default Re: Do these anodes need replaced?

The hull anode looks alright to me assuming it is an aluminium. Just needs a clean up. I would check the through hull bolts though as the fastening looks a little dated. Agree, the prop anode needs definitely doing.

Thanks
    Do you also know how I go about ordering the correct replacement? Is it a case of measuring prop shaft diameter and just ordering one or is it a bit more complicated? Thanks

From the look of the heavy deposits on it, that hull anode shouldn't need replacing -- because it's barely working. Is it zinc and the boat usually kept in brackish water? At the very least it needs a good clean. (STOL71 is presumably basing his supposition about aluminium on your username: ally should be used in brackish water, whilst also working perfectly well in seawater.)

Shaft anode should be ordered on basis of shaft diameter, but they also vary in length: within reason, fit the largest you can whilst still maintaining sufficient clearance for the shaft to move back and forth.
    Last edited by macd; 26-03-19 at 08:07.
    All epigrams are false

shaft yes
    Pear no

Hi mac I don't know if it's zinc to be honest
    The boat was kept in granton on the east coast for the last 12 years but is now at Crinan on the west. Thanks

You can buy a new prop shaft one quite easily once you know the shaft diameter. Check careefully whether it is metric or imperial.

As regards the other one, get a multimeter and check connectivity to what the anode is protecting. Anodes last quite a long time if they aren't bonded properly.

Mac when you say the hull anode isn't working is that a problem or just the way it is designed? Find the whole anode subject very confusing I must admit.

Is The Crinan fresh water or salt

Hi Harry it's salt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast