Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Default Re: The Ship Inn Levington

Not the Haven Ports Yacht Club any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    Not the Haven Ports Yacht Club any more?
    Still HPYC but the committee felt that new blood was needed....Katy in the kitchen and Andy behind the bar!
    Yacht: White Pearl - Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32i

Quote Originally Posted by gertha View Post
    Maybe the pub will close and 4 very expensive houses will replace it.
    Could be a way to make more money than selling dubious steak and kidney pie.
    I hope that doesn't happen. It seems that as more people move to live in attractive areas, the more attractions are lost. You are unlikely to hear people say "let's have a day out in Suffolk to look at the lovely new housing estates"

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

There is no pub in Nacton and there never has been, because the local landowners - the Vernons and the Brokes - when not producing Naval heroes were strongly opposed to the Demon Drink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Vernon
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Broke

So, if the hPYC doesn't suit, a long walk to Trimley is indicated...
    Last edited by Minn; 28-03-19 at 13:59.

Quote Originally Posted by gertha View Post
    Maybe the pub will close and 4 very expensive houses will replace it.
    Could be a way to make more money than selling dubious steak and kidney pie.
    I can think of two Waterside watering holes that have suffered a somewhat similar fate in Brightlingsea!

The Anchor which used to be a lively and thriving pub right on Brightlingsea hard was allowed to run down by a person of shall we say reputation. It was subsequently closed, put up for sale and converted into 5 'luxury' flats. At least the structure of this beautiful old building is still intact!

The Sun just back from the hard, same person as above bought it and changed it from a pub that was heaving virtually every night of the week into the pub that no one in their right mind bothered about. It was closed, but being a listed building it couldn't be pulled down. It 'caught fire' one night and all that was left was the fireplace which I understand has had to be incorporated into one of the new houses that have sprung up on the site.

Then there was the mysterious fire that started on the site of the old James & Stone shipyard...you know...the site we now call Cell Block H. OK, now that was an eyesore, but why replace an eyesore with an eyesore?

Cynical? Me? Never!
    I wish they would move mornings to a more convenient time of the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    The Anchor which used to be a lively and thriving pub right on Brightlingsea hard was allowed to run down by a person of shall we say reputation. It was subsequently closed, put up for sale and converted into 5 'luxury' flats. At least the structure of this beautiful old building is still intact!
    From what I hear it's in need of considerable remedial work. I wonder what the chances are of getting the sort of money required out of the leaseholders. Shame, it is a beautiful building. Time was when it was the place of choice to sit in the sun and drink lager if you were a tattooed near-shaven-headed powerboater up from Romford for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    From what I hear it's in need of considerable remedial work. I wonder what the chances are of getting the sort of money required out of the leaseholders. Shame, it is a beautiful building. Time was when it was the place of choice to sit in the sun and drink lager if you were a tattooed near-shaven-headed powerboater up from Romford for the weekend.
    Our children got to know the bench outside very well while we sheltered from the rain inside and enjoyed our drinks. Powerboats hadn't then been invented and it was the water-ski boats that bothered us when we were trying to ground gently on the scrubbing-posts.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12