Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Exclamation Heads-up. Craftinsure anchoring exclusion

Just reviewed my policy with Craftinsure which includes the below exclusion:

Claims arising from [boat name] being stranded, sunk, swamped or breaking adrift whilst unattended except on a recognised mooring.
    Am I correct in reading that to mean that, if I am anchored off Shell Beach or in Newtown Creek, a trip to the pub would leave me uninsured?!

Seems to exclude normal, every day anchor and explore type activity...

Default Re: Heads-up. Craftinsure anchoring exclusion

I would be asking my broker that.

Clause is not on my Craftinsure policy but mine is for none tidal waters

Territorial Scope:
    Ashore or afloat on inland non tidal waters and interconnecting tidal waterways of the UK, including the Broads, and the river Thames not seaward of the Thames Barrier.

Lots of boat insurance policies have exclusions for unattended anchoring. Rightly so, in my opinion.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Lots of boat insurance policies have exclusions for unattended anchoring. Rightly so, in my opinion.
    That has been my experience...

I queried that with my Craftinsure broker. I said that I always have the boat in sight as my forays are to the beach etc and they said that was acceptable. I think the exclusion applies if it's out of sight and care for a length of time that you would be unable to respond to dragging etc.

I specifically require that my boat is insured when at anchor even if out of line of sight. I heard of a crew who went ashore for a pizza in Mallorca, anchored well but the wind picked up massively and very quickly and the boat ended up on the rocks and sunk. The insurers refused to pay out because buried in the small print was a clause just like that! In my experience most insurers will accept that even if out of sight, as long as the boat has been competently anchored, it's covered. I'd insist on that tbh!

What's really needed here is a definition of 'unattended' from Craftinsure, if it's not in the policy somewhere. If not I think there is plenty of wiggle room there for them to not pay out.

The dictionary definition of unattended is "not being watched or taken care of". So eyes on the boat from the beach may be ok, but then there could be arguments around distance..
    Last edited by AdeOlly; 27-03-19 at 13:58. Reason: Typo
    Adrian is searching for his next boat....

Mines line of sight or within 1/2 hr to get back on if not . Med based . Beach ,Pizza, restaurants etc .
    They don’t want you leaving it unattended at anchor for extended periods .
    Amlyin based .

Fair enough, and I accept that unexpected 'it happens. But the truth be told, insurance be damned, I'd never anchor up and leave the boat unless I was absolutely sure it was safe and well dug in regardless of wind or tide change and I say this without hubris as I've witnessed so many people actually struggle to anchor correctly even when going through the motions correctly and that not always the case either. I also deploy anchor watch alarms that will text me if the boat moves outside a prescribed arc (tide and wind shift) or drags amd am in the habit of setting up sight lines along the beach for a quick visual reference. Only takes a couple of stones or twigs spaced effectively to be accurate.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast