Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question NKE Ultrasonic Log

NKE have an ultra sonic log on their website.

https://www.nke-marine-electronics.c...-speed-sensor/

Does anyone know when/if it will be availabe to buy?

Default Re: NKE Ultrasonic Log

an will it be compatible as a replacement with existing airmar logs?

Airmar seem to have been messing around with similar products for some time, I think this is their latest effort - https://cdnkey-bb0b.kxcdn.com/images...02_12_2018.pdf . However they seem expensive and there are few reports of their performance in use that I can find.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 29-03-19 at 10:40.

B&G gave up years/decades ago. I can't remember the reason.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Any NKE dealers on here?

Doppler sonar logs have been around for a long time but have never been successful in the leisure market for some reason despite being theoretically very accurate. I used to sell commercial marine ones in the 70s and they were very accurate. NASA were the first to sell leisure ones based on a doppler pipe flow sensor. They seem to have problems with them because they stopped selling them. I see from the Airmar data sheet they are also offering EM logs. We used them in submarines and they were pretty accurate but needed many measured mile runs to calibrate them
    Peter

Airmar have made the ultrasonic CS4500 log for many years. I don't know why more people don't use them. I've had one for six years and I'm happy with it. It seems more accurate than paddle logs and is vastly less affected by fouling. It does get confused by murky water sometimes, but this is not a big problem. Small faff to install in an N2K network because it outputs the old pulse signal, which has to be converted to 0183 with an Actisense box, which has to be converted again (in my case, via the 0183 input on my Zeus plotter), and it's relatively expensive, but for me it's been well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
    Airmar have made the ultrasonic CS4500 log for many years. I don't know why more people don't use them. I've had one for six years and I'm happy with it. It seems more accurate than paddle logs and is vastly less affected by fouling. It does get confused by murky water sometimes, but this is not a big problem. Small faff to install in an N2K network because it outputs the old pulse signal, which has to be converted to 0183 with an Actisense box, which has to be converted again (in my case, via the 0183 input on my Zeus plotter), and it's relatively expensive, but for me it's been well worth it.
    Quick question is it water lock or bottom lock or can it be switched between the two.
    Peter

Looks a bit like the garmin one. Which is available to buy.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

We had a Seafarer doppler log back in the 70's. Had to keep the screws clean so that it worked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast