Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 260
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    24,045

    Default Re: MAIB Report Red Falcon and Phoenix collision

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    You are rammed from behind in total defiance of ColRegs and you are 50% responsible? Seriously?

    We were discussing whether a yachtie would draw any conclusions from this incident about whether the Phoenix skipper was incompetent. I certainly would not.

    Basic seamanship and acting as the give way vessel, as required by ColRegs, from the Red Falcon would have avoided the collision. I'm upping the ante ..... Red Falcon now 85%, Phoenix 15%.

    Richard
    I might make it 49&

    Neither skipper kept a good lookout but the Ferry had more excuse.

    The ferry had very limited options for manoeuvre owing to all the small boats - especially the sailing boat on his port bow.

    The correct behaviour for the motor boat was to give the ferry sufficient room to maneouvre - Rule 9 should apply. Local instructions from Southampton VTS stress that leisure boats should cross the channel quickly and at right angles

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Home UK Midlands / Boat Croatia
    Posts
    18,874

    Default Re: MAIB Report Red Falcon and Phoenix collision

    Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    I might make it 49&

    Neither skipper kept a good lookout but the Ferry had more excuse.

    The ferry had very limited options for manoeuvre owing to all the small boats - especially the sailing boat on his port bow.

    The correct behaviour for the motor boat was to give the ferry sufficient room to maneouvre - Rule 9 should apply. Local instructions from Southampton VTS stress that leisure boats should cross the channel quickly and at right angles
    Rule 9 applies to "Narrow Channels" and Elessar specifically states that this is not a narrow channel so Rule 9 should not, and does not, apply. However, even where Rule 9 does apply, it says that the rule does not relieve the overtaking vessel of her obligation under Rule 13.

    Perhaps have another go at the percentages.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    3,429

    Default Re: MAIB Report Red Falcon and Phoenix collision

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Rule 9 applies to "Narrow Channels" and Elessar specifically states that this is not a narrow channel so Rule 9 should not, and does not, apply. However, even where Rule 9 does apply, it says that the rule does not relieve the overtaking vessel of her obligation under Rule 13.

    Perhaps have another go at the percentages.
    Referring to any of the COLREGS rules apart from Rule 5 (and possibly 6) is pretty pointless if neither has seen the other.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    24,045

    Default Re: MAIB Report Red Falcon and Phoenix collision

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Rule 9 applies to "Narrow Channels" and Elessar specifically states that this is not a narrow channel so Rule 9 should not, and does not, apply. However, even where Rule 9 does apply, it says that the rule does not relieve the overtaking vessel of her obligation under Rule 13.

    Perhaps have another go at the percentages.
    a) IMHO it is certainly a narrow channel
    b) The ABP guidance would apply either way.

    I am prepared to go up to 60% Phoenix but that is my limit

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Live in Fareham Area, Boat in Gosport
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: MAIB Report Red Falcon and Phoenix collision

    Both vessels should have maintained a good and proper look out, both should have taken avoiding action, though Red Falcon had a motoring ? sailboat on her port hand side so ability to manoevre could be limited

    Phoenix set a course into the precautionary area unaware of her surroundings. Red Falcon is only 93M long some 4,100 tons so not given the 1,000M exclusion box that larger vessels are afforded. However those ferries criss cross constantly not too mention cruise liners, tankers, container ships, coasters and hydrofoil ferries @35+knots. Failure to keep a good look out in that area could mean you are hit by any of the above.

    Thankfully everyone got to go home

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,361

    Default Re: MAIB Report Red Falcon and Phoenix collision

    Quote Originally Posted by Angele View Post
    Referring to any of the COLREGS rules apart from Rule 5 (and possibly 6) is pretty pointless if neither has seen the other.
    Hard to argue with that

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,250

    Default Re: MAIB Report Red Falcon and Phoenix collision

    Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Ignoring hindsight - would a 30' leisure vessel have an AIS on deck or down at the chart table.

    I know where it is more useful, in this case, I just wonder what the reality is, or would be.

    A cheaper option in this case, other then looking behind, would be a rear view mirror.

    Jonathan
    In the case of a motorboat like the one involved, there would be no chart table down below. Pretty much all MoBos would have AIS displayed on their main MFD which would be at the helm.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home: North West, Boat: The Clyde
    Posts
    3,533

    Default Re: MAIB Report Red Falcon and Phoenix collision

    The MoBo owner had 17 years experience sailing Lake Solent; he did not hold any marine or boating qualifications and had no knowledge of local regulations and guidance. He also had 2 pints of beer with his pub lunch.

    He left Hamble, crossed the channel towards the west, then was crossing it again at a very acute angle heading south(ish) towards Cowes. Then bang. (Figure 8).

    I'm sure the Daily Mail will love this one. Mandatory qualifications and mandatory drink driving laws.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,361

    Default Re: MAIB Report Red Falcon and Phoenix collision

    Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Worth checking if your system can hide stationary targets?

    Pete
    Great idea, will check Lighthouse 3 manual

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    River Itchen, Southampton
    Posts
    6,897

    Default Re: MAIB Report Red Falcon and Phoenix collision

    Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Ignoring hindsight - would a 30' leisure vessel have an AIS on deck or down at the chart table.

    I know where it is more useful, in this case, I just wonder what the reality is, or would be.

    A cheaper option in this case, other then looking behind, would be a rear view mirror.

    Jonathan
    No motor cruiser would have it at the chart table. Why yachts ever do mystifys me.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to