Default Recommend some day sails from Cardiff

Weve decided to berth in Cardiff this summer, primarily for the city.

What are the popular spots for day or overnight sails? I guess these would vary with tides and forecast.

Its a 40 sailboat with 6 draft and I dont like to dry out!

I plan to check out Padstow and Scilly Isles on my longer trips.

Default Re: Recommend some day sails from Cardiff

Portishead would be a nice easy sail, you could always go into the canal at Sharpness for something different? If you're happy anchoring then Tenby for a visit but it's rolly, or Oxwich Bay which is popular. There's also Milford Haven a bit further along with marinas pubs etc, There's always Lundy if the weather is good, again if you don't mind anchoring and a bit of roll.
    Last edited by Yellow Ballad; 28-03-19 at 10:28.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Where are you moored, if Penarth Quays you can stay for free at Portishead
    Bristol is worth the trip, small tidal window for access but never a problem and you tie up right in the city centre
    See the rainbow not the rain

Watchet if you dont mind sitting in soft gloop and make sure you get there on time. (Im not sure what you mean by drying out, all proper Bristol Channel boats get mud on their bottoms, but do you simply mean you cant take the ground on your keels? )

Anchor off Oxwich Bay, Saundersfoot & Caldey Island, Tenby with great YC. Swansea Marina

Study your charts/tides and you can get to Sharpness canal for Gloucester. Portishead is dump despite marina but Bristol fine.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Watchet if you dont mind sitting in soft gloop and make sure you get there on time. (Im not sure what you mean by drying out, all proper Bristol Channel boats get mud on their bottoms, but do you simply mean you cant take the ground on your keels? )

Anchor off Oxwich Bay, Saundersfoot & Caldey Island, Tenby with great YC. Swansea Marina

Study your charts/tides and you can get to Sharpness canal for Gloucester. Portishead is dump despite marina but Bristol fine.
    Thanks, and I don’t mind a bit of gloop It’s about 18mile or 3hours to Watchet so I guess on a neap I could sail over in a morning hang out for low water and back to Cardiff in the evening.?

You cant get into Watchet more than 2 hours after HW, though you can "mud" out in outer harbour a little later. The trick is to leave Cardiff Barrage (or in my case Uphill) about 2 hours before HW and once in the channel punch the last 1.5 hours of the rising tide.

If you are too late head down to anchor in Blue Anchor Bay in the best holding mud in the world. Not dreadfully exiting to row ashore but a very useful passage anchor spot if starting long trips late evening and still wanting some sleep.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post

Bit harsh on Portishead?

I must say though I do prefer Penarth
    See the rainbow not the rain