Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Red face Boat off mooring - salvage claim... Yes. Again! Arrr!

Arrr ye dogz!!!

So yes ... another boat ended up in my hands at the end of last summer.

I am sure the FYW (owner) involved won't mind me telling you all that he has used threatening language, and been very rash in his actions towards a group that have been silly enough to drag his boat off the rocks in 25mph winds.

Further he has not paid the settlement agreed on when we released his boat back to him.

Because I am lovely, we promised the FYW involved that we would not drag him through court until one last try at resolving the situation is made... That was before Xmas so it's time to get back on with it.

The agreed settlement was £500 however the vessel, a pretty yellow workboat (PYW) is probably worth (and insured for) around £25,000.

Owner's insurers informed him that they would not pay because the boat was "within 3 miles of shore", a patent nonsense as owner freely admits.

Owner has refused to provide address and insurer details, threatened my life, property and peace (recorded over the phone over several conversations) and not paid the agreed sum on time.

Anyone wanna buy our rights in this?

Arrrr!

Fatbeard.

Default Re: Boat off mooring - salvage claim... Yes. Again! Arrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatbeard View Post
    we would not drag him through court until
    I do hope you're looking at Admiralty Court.

I fear you're unlikely ever to get your £500, and if you do it probably won't be the last you'll hear from the owner. Maybe just put it down to experience.

If he has threatened your life then that is a serious criminal offence. Suggest you go the the police and play them the recording.
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

Perhaps you should stop 'resucing' these boats. No good ever seems to come of it. Leave em to the elements.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Perhaps you should stop 'resucing' these boats. No good ever seems to come of it. Leave em to the elements.
    Or rescue them out of good neighbourliness and hand them back to the owner without making any monetary demands?

Richard

Do you have any photos and release document that you can present to the SCC (Small Claims Court)?
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Or rescue them out of good neighbourliness and hand them back to the owner without making any monetary demands?

Richard
    Well that would be what most if us would do, I have done it myself numerous times, but FB is clearly not of that persuasion, which is why I suggested just leaving them.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Well that would be what most if us would do, I have done it myself numerous times, but FB is clearly not of that persuasion, which is why I suggested just leaving them.
    It might be a generous act but the principle that someone who takes action to rescue a vessel is entitled to some recompense for their effort, and sometimes for the risk, needs to be upheld. We don't know the details, but pulling a workboat off the rocks in a F6 doesn't sound easy to me. The owner sounds like an evasive character, especially as the resue must have saved him from a much greater expense. I think that fatbeard should continue as he is by trying to keep things at a low level but with the determination to proceed if necessary. I don't know how many people are involved but the possibility of reporting what appears to be criminal behaviour is probably best done with everyone's agreement.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    +1

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast