Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tablet Nav for a beginner

This summer I hope to be sailing my Shrimper out of Shoreham Harbour, mostly day trips "round the bay" but maybe along to the Solent later. I last had a boat on the South Coast from 1977-1983. I'm happy with simple chart navigation, but a lot has changed since then (mooring charges for a start!) and I'm interested in using a cheap tablet PC to augment the paper and hand-bearing compass. Any advice on suitable Apps or progs? I'm a bit baffled by some of the acronyms I've encountered, so be gentle with me!

Default Re: Tablet Nav for a beginner

OPENCPN great mapping program on Android £7.49 or there about , from Google Store, and then you can buy the whole of the UK charts for £20 they are very good and easy to use.
    Make sure your tablet has internal GPS , some say they do but it is not activated.
    Lots of Sailing apps on Goolge Store , for tides. navigation , etc,
    Flying birds have no master

As well as OpenCPN, the other two main ones are Navionics (most like a traditional installed plotter) and Imray (essentially images of their paper charts, with a few navigation functions laid on top).

Pete

If you are baffled by any acronyms please ask here as I'm sure people can help. Some people are very techie and some not, I fall into the later camp. When I had navionics on my lenovo (android) tablet I was very happy. I doubt you are going to install AIS but that might be the only reason for avoiding navionics on an android tablet. It does cost a bit more but it is very user friendly. I suspect you can play with sample charts on your home computer to see differences in user friendliness. I may be wrong but I get the feeling that most people who use Open CPN use it on laptops, and often vere towards being quite able in the techie department.. I now use the same tablet with the marine navigator app and Visit My Harbour charts, but miss my navionics (my son wiped the charts off in an update).
    Perhaps the real reason I'm not so happy with my choices is because so seldom do I need to practice using the equipment. I'm Solent based and usually know where to go.
    Last edited by FairweatherDave; 29-03-19 at 13:27.

Navionics has always been my go to mobile / tablet app, its intuitive and fairly straight forward, you dont have to get the subscription to use the basic functions of it, my subscription has lapsed and i havent renewed yet, all the things i need still work fine, the charts on my tablet are more up to date than my plotter tbh.

icon below in case your looking in the store;

you can get tide info on navionics but if you like to plan on shore Imray is easier for forward planning and i use the imray tides planner app for tides and currents, (more for its tidal atlas and chart overlay), that's a subscription for £3.99 a year

icon below, not to be confused with Imray navigator, which is priced similar to Navionics if i recall correctly.

I use Apple as my platform, which has been reliable so far, im sure they're available on Android too
    Last edited by Cactus Sailing; 29-03-19 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    I suspect you can play with sample charts on your home computer
    Good point - http://webapp.navionics.com will let you browse Navionics charts. It doesn't do everything the app does, but as far as I know the charts are the same.

Pete

For 5 years I used a combination of Navionics, iNavX and the Imray apps on an cellular iPad (without a sim card in).
    I channelled the AIS data from my SH2200 via a wifi point into iNavX upon which I had paid for Navionics charts.

By far and away the go-to app has been Navionics. It's very very easy to use and provides a lot of information including tide & current data in real-time.
    For an option, you can get the Imray app and a FREE chart by purchasing the Shell Pilot book - I have also tried that and its essentially Raster Charts with a somewhat clunky UI.

I love the Imray Tide Planner app, so simple and obvious that its just a no brainer.

I am only now (after 5 years without one) purchasing a chart plotter - only because I want to start playing with an autopilot and instruments, we will continue to use Navionics on the app however.

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    I now use the same tablet with the marine navigator app and Visit My Harbour charts, but miss my navionics
    Another recommendation for Marine Navigator app on an Android tablet Then download the charts from Visit My Harbour website at http://www.visitmyharbour.com/download-android-charts/

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Thanks for all the advice . . . I mostly understood it!

+1 for Navionics. Mines on an iPad. It’s really a doddle to use and very inexpensive for the functionality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast