Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Are my expectations too unrealistic?

Hi,
    In my own little bubble I drive down to my boat every other week. I usually pop in to the same chandlery, sometimes I spend a tenner, sometimes I spend £500. This week I went in three times. £85, £30, and a modest £10. On the second occasion I was handed my change by the manager without any sign of a thanks. Then today no please or thank you at all. like I was not there. Its been like this for 2 years. almost all the staff have an arrogance, the manager can be pleasant but does exactly the same thing. I discussed it with him today but I don't think he understood the importance of being curtious

Only last year my wife pointed out how friendly everyone is at marinas and on the radio. Ive allways found without exception everyone to be pleasant and friendly. So why would retailers not show the same respect to the very same people ?. Is it a regional thing or is it more of something more sinister ?.

I know I should just take it on the chin or man up and say something, but im past all that. when I go to do my boat I do so to enjoy the whole experience and my mindset is to be polite and respectful to everyone.

The chandlery is Force 4 In Bursledon. ill not ever go in again. I run a retail business and its part and parcel to use please and thanks to everyone no matter how much im under pressure. Are my expectations really too much Today ?.

Steveeasy

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Are my expectations too unrealistic?

I often drive twenty miles out of my way to go to either Seamark Nunn in Trimley or to the chandlers at Suffolk Yacht Harbour in Levington because the people are friendly, knowledgeable and thoughtful. And anyone who has bought yottitronics in Suffolk will speak well of Henry at Foxes.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Force 4 at Lymington.
    Last edited by Minn; 29-03-19 at 23:42.

Itís your call, convenience over congeniality. Itís not as if you are being abused every time you trade with the chandler. Maybe lower your expectations would be better. Some folks are born grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    It’s your call, convenience over congeniality. It’s not as if you are being abused every time you trade with the chandler. Maybe lower your expectations would be better. Some folks are born grumpy.
    Not sure if people are born that way. Actually I fell like its an abuse, its not a one off. Its a plague that spreads like wildfire. In my opinion its easy to address, but starts at the top. Its also very good for business. Whats interesting though, my customers are very wide and diverse range of people. without exception almost all of them are polite and they always get a genuine please and thank you. Id be horrified if I failed to acknowledge to respond after being handed money.

Steveeasy
    Last edited by steveeasy; 30-03-19 at 00:04.

Stop going there.

Simples
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by steveeasy View Post
    Hi,
    In my own little bubble I drive down to my boat every other week. I usually pop in to the same chandlery, sometimes I spend a tenner, sometimes I spend £500. This week I went in three times. £85, £30, and a modest £10. On the second occasion I was handed my change by the manager without any sign of a thanks. Then today no please or thank you at all. like I was not there. Its been like this for 2 years. almost all the staff have an arrogance, the manager can be pleasant but does exactly the same thing. I discussed it with him today but I don't think he understood the importance of being curtious

Only last year my wife pointed out how friendly everyone is at marinas and on the radio. Ive allways found without exception everyone to be pleasant and friendly. So why would retailers not show the same respect to the very same people ?. Is it a regional thing or is it more of something more sinister ?.

I know I should just take it on the chin or man up and say something, but im past all that. when I go to do my boat I do so to enjoy the whole experience and my mindset is to be polite and respectful to everyone.

The chandlery is Force 4 In Bursledon. ill not ever go in again. I run a retail business and its part and parcel to use please and thanks to everyone no matter how much im under pressure. Are my expectations really too much Today ?.

Steveeasy
    Force 4 in shamrock couldn’t be friendlier or more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Stop going there.

Simples
    I found exactly the same, so I bypass it.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

No Steve, your expectations are reasonable. Force 4 staff in Port Hamble appear to be cut from the same cloth.

My favourite is YouBoat in Gosport, small family chandelery and better for it!

They always seemed pretty cheerful down at screwfix and maplins when it was still about

Quote Originally Posted by steveeasy View Post
    The chandlery is Force 4 In Bursledon. ill not ever go in again.
    I was expecting you to say it was a certain chandlery in Emsworth that used to be notorious for the discourtesy of its manager.
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast