Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Sailrite

Default Re: Sailrite

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    Just for info' if this hasn't already been mentioned. I bought an unbranded Chinese Sailrite copy off Ebay for a fraction of a genuine one and it is brilliant. Walking foot etc. etc. Plus, a brand new motor and foot pedal are also available for around £15.
    Yep, it was tempting to get one of the 3 or 4 Chinese rip offs but when I checked some reviews, it seems that the quality of the components (particularly the internal cams etc) aren't as good as the original.
    The Chinese equivalents though do seem to offer good value for money.
    My rational there is so much of a saving making your own covers that I could have been risking the end result for that sake of a few hundred pounds.
    The support from Sailrite, especially all those Youtube videos, sold the Sailrite machine to me.
    Also, in the past, SWMBO and I have always bought top of the range sewing machines.

Does anyone have a link to any of these cheaper machines? I am a bit too long in the tooth to consider a new machine but it is interesting to have a look.
    Studying Hurricane's stitching not only is it regular but the stitch length is something you don't get with even quality heavyweight, domestic machines.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Does anyone have a link to any of these cheaper machines? I am a bit too long in the tooth to consider a new machine but it is interesting to have a look.
    Studying Hurricane's stitching not only is it regular but the stitch length is something you don't get with even quality heavyweight, domestic machines.
    I deleted all the links from when I did my research but here are two alternatives to the Sailrite.
    Essentially, they use the same design and the mouldings/castings are virtually identical - properly "ripped off".

The Rex
    https://www.amazon.com/607Z-Portable.../dp/B06XP7MG23

But, I think that this one (the Baracuda) is the better of the two:-
    https://reliablecorporation.com/prod...sewing-machine

Here is a comparison between the Sailrite and the Baracuda
    https://www.yachtmollymawk.com/2018/...sailrite-lsz1/

And I think you will find this page interesting.
    It is the history of the Sailrite and their response to the various "rip offs".
    In fact, it explains how the design was copied.
    A really interesting read:-

https://www.sailrite.com/ultrafeed-history

Hope that helps
    As I said, I chose to pay the extra and buy an original.
    And I don't regret my decision.

Some extra comments from me.
    All sewing is a skill.
    Even the best machine can't do the job for you.
    I'm not 100% happy with my results but I have very much enjoyed doing these little projects.
    The Cockpit covers/curtains were a big step and they work but I will make another set in a year or two (or sooner if that cheap fabric fails).
    I learnt a lot making the cockpit covers.

Also, one of the retired berth holders in Sant Carles used to make leather upholstery for Aston Martin.
    As a result, he is good at covers and was very helpful with his advice over the summer.
    One such important point for me is when making seams.
    Essentially there are 3 ways to join fabric (French seams etc).
    Two are shown in this Sailrite "Learning to Sew" page.
    https://www.sailrite.com/Learning-to...ew-Basic-Seams
    I use the second method for virtually everything.
    The advice that the berth holder in SC gave me was to really pull the fabric hard when sewing the top stitch and sew close to the joint.

In the video in the above link, you will see double sided sticky being used.
    This double sided tape is fantastic stuff.
    I've been using it for years - Kayospruce call it "Venture Tape".
    I used to make DIY spinnakers for my sailing dinghies - I designed them on the computer and I output the panels to a company in Fareham who used laser cutter.
    I then stuck the spinnaker together using this tape.
    I did stitch some of the seams but most were strong enough using just the tape.
    That same tape helps with canvas as well.
    It, not only holds the fabric without pins, but it also forms a waterproof seam where the needle passes through the fabric.
    Rather than using Kayospruce for the tape, I have been buying the same stuff from Ebay - here:-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sailmaker...72.m2749.l2649
    I use 6mm, 12mm and 25mm widths.

Thanks for the info Hurricane.

If anyone is interested there is a UK Sailrite on Ebay at the moment - £595 with 9 days to go though.

I must admit that having learned almost all my sewing skills from Sailrite videos (they are so well made and watchable) I was (I am) a bit uncomfortable buying a clone. If I start doing more than the odd canopy and cushions then I may well invest in the genuine article.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

I must admit that having learned almost all my sewing skills from Sailrite videos (they are so well made and watchable) I was (I am) a bit uncomfortable buying a clone. If I start doing more than the odd canopy and cushions then I may well invest in the genuine article.
    My point exactly.

I bought the same Sailrite sewing machine July 2018, and have done very little with it so far, but having left it at the marina this year I brought it back and wondering if smaller domestic projects are possible on it. The Sailrite video's suggest as such, but I'm not so sure. For instance the various rolled hem attachments you can buy on Amazon can only be fitted to "low shank sewing machines" which this obviously isn't, but I should be able to change the foot but am struggling to find how (& what to change it to). My wife would like to use it for domestic projects but wondering whether to get her a modern household one instead.

Sailrite do a less aggressive foot but it would probably be expensive and maybe limited help anyway.
    Apart from that, flat bed machines also make handling small work more difficult, particularly things like trousers and sleeves.

A strong free arm machine might be a better all rounder. Or an inexpensive small machine may do all you wife needs, including decorative stitches, whilst you keep the Sailrite.

The machine on EBay is now over £800 so you would probably get a good price if you decided to swap

And you can expect to get a good price for it when you have finished with it.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast