Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sailrite

Default Re: Sailrite

Quote Originally Posted by djefabs View Post
    Of course I did NOT do this, a very useful guy in Sarisbury Green did it for me.
    Yea - we know him well!!!
    A single row of zig zag is easier to get it looking right - for a DIYer like me anyway.

These were my winter covers last month
    Definitely on their last legs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    It us usually the window fabric that fails first - probably due to UV.
    Absolutely. So much so, that imho it's better not to have any windows.
    Of course, this is an each to their own matter to a great extent, but even in the summer, I prefer to have the lighter perforated fabric, rather than plastic windows (see pic). The only drawback is that it's not fully waterproof, but that ain't so important in summer.
    Otoh, when in winter I just want to protect the cockpit (or windscreen, whatever), I don't mind trading some external view for a better and more long lasting protection... Just a thought!

Could you post the name of the fabric and where you get it from.
    I will probably stick to Sunbrella but it would be good to have alternatives in my armoury.

I have had good stuff from Kayospruce and it has lasted well but notice their coated Sauleda has now crept up in price to over £20, so that's out.

Also used Hawke House but their prices for coated stuff has also risen.....

https://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/product...ethane-coated/

Not worth saving pennies so I will be going with Sunbrella next!

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    I have had good stuff from Kayospruce and it has lasted well but notice their coated Sauleda has now crept up in price to over £20, so that's out.

Also used Hawke House but their prices for coated stuff has also risen.....

https://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/product...ethane-coated/

Not worth saving pennies so I will be going with Sunbrella next!
    Yep that was my logic
    I can find stuff at £15 ish per linear metre but the extra for Sunbrella Plus must be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Kayospruce
    Last time I was in there, a few years back, there was a huge stash of ends of rolls they were selling off at very reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Last time I was in there, a few years back, there was a huge stash of ends of rolls they were selling off at very reasonable prices.
    I've used Kaospruce for years.
    Since they were in their previous warehouse.
    They always have bits and pieces that they are prepared to let go at reduced prices.
    The problem, is that you don't really know what you are buying.
    Some of the stuff that I've picked up over the years has been good but some is rubbish.
    I remember making a set of windscreen covers for our old Sealine T51.
    The project worked well but the fabric turned to something resembling paper over an 18 month period.

What an interesting thread and not one I would ever have expected to read on the mobo forum.

Many moons ago I did some training as a sailamaker in the RN but apart from hand sewn running repairs using the right kit (sailmakers palm, needles and the right thread) it has never crossed my mind to do any DIY canopy or covers work. I have always taken the view that despite a bit of training I am an amateur and prefer the fit and finish from a professional for something such as a canopy. We have a variety of providers locally so always a good choice and perhaps that has influenced my thinking.

I am now wondering whether to get myself a machine and have a bash at renovating our current canopy, which will soon become our winter canopy as we are having a replacement made.

Just an update

I made a cover for our flybridge helm seat with the cheap material.
    It was really just to see how the machine worked.
    I think the cover will work but it is clear that I need more skill.

So this new skill is a work in progress.
    Over the last few weeks, I have been playing with different ideas - mostly using the cheap fabric.
    I now like this cheap fabric so much that I am considering using it more.
    I've got some Sunbrella off cuts from previous jobs that I did with the domestic machine and I actually find the cheap fabric easier to work.

The Sailrite website has been really worth every visit.
    Just have a look at this page.
    https://www.sailrite.com/How-To-Proj...arine-Projects
    and click the list on the left and then on the various projects that they explain.
    There are loads of examples and different techniques.

So, my process of jumping in and making a cover probably isn't the way to do it.
    During the last few weeks, I've watched lots of these videos and then done some practical examples.
    The more I use the machine, the better the results are.

The next big job that I have for the machine is a new console cover for our flybridge.
    The old one blew off last winter and I've only got a make-shift PVC cover covering the instruments at the moment.
    So, imagine my joy when I found that Sailrite have an example of how to make a console cover.
    See here
    https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make...lm-Cover-Video

We are going out tomorrow and I'm taking some prototyping material with me.

So watch this space.
    When I've got some work that I think is worth photographing, I will post the results.

Finally, to make the machine pay for itself, I want to make some cockpit covers.
    I've got my old winter covers that have now completely had it so I'm going to use them as a template but use some of the techniques that I've learned from Sailrite.

Here's a pic of the test to fix a window.
    JW's cockpit covers have a large window in the back panel (2.4m x 1.2m) and similar but smaller ones in each side panel.
    It us usually the window fabric that fails first - probably due to UV.
    I know some people who have created covers for the windows that they put on when they leave the boat.
    I thought about this but my old ones lasted 10 years so I have decided not to protect the windows from UV - maybe replace them instead after they fail.

So, I was looking for the best way to connect the plastic window material to canvas,
    The professionally made covers that I am replacing have welded connections to a white heavy PVC fabric.
    I'm not going to invest in a welding machine and it probably wouldn't weld to Sunbrella Plus anyway.

So, this is the solution that I'm working to:-

The inside of the canvas was "basted" with double sided tape which you can't see after it is sewn.
    Then stitched.
    I tried two rows of straight stitch and a longer pitch zig zag but I chose this one because it was easy and simple.
    It shouldn't be that difficult to un-pick and replace the window material after 8/10 years.
    Change of plan on the window now that I've done some more experimenting.
    Still probably use the zig zag but the way that the panels for the cockpit covers are coming out means that it might be better to make the sides, top and bottom from separate pieces. It also looks nicer if there is a proper edge seam around the window frame.

I've also done a lot of experimenting on zips and learning different techniques.
    Lots of scrap in the bin but I'm enjoying the experience.

I've got a nice simple job for you if you wish to practice,a sock for my fully repaired passerelle???
    Crew are even on board now to pass you measurements when you arrive :-) :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast