Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sailrite

Default Re: Sailrite

Quote Originally Posted by timbad View Post
    I've got a nice simple job for you if you wish to practice,a sock for my fully repaired passerelle???
    Crew are even on board now to pass you measurements when you arrive :-) :-)
    I don't know if you remember our T51 but I made a cover (sock as you put it) for the passerelle on that boat.
    Long time ago now!!

Great shouldn’t that long then :-).
    I don’t remember yours, the the other T51 on the way to our boats has one that gave me the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by timbad View Post
    Great shouldn’t that long then :-).
    I don’t remember yours, the the other T51 on the way to our boats has one that gave me the idea.
    I dug this photo out from a trip we did to Holland.
    The passerelle is cover fitted in this pic

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I dug this photo out from a trip we did to Holland.
    The passerelle is cover fitted in this pic

You do like taking your dinghy sizes to the max don’t you Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    You do like taking your dinghy sizes to the max don’t you Mike!

Maybe we will see this weekend.

So, reviving this thread - here are some pics of the results from the Sailrite machine.
    This is a post with several pics so you may see duplicate photos because these images are hosted on my own server using my own software to resize the original resolution images "on the fly".
    And my code isn't that robust - refreshing your page should reload the images.
    Sorry if you get duplicates - I will have another go at the software sometime - but it does work most of the time.

Obviously, there is a skill in sewing.
    I am just an enthusiastic DIYer but the results are not too bad and everything that I make gets better than the last time.
    And, of course the jobs I chose to undertake so far are covers that are usually fitted whist away from the boat.

Firstly a plug for the Sailrite.
    Earlier this year, I walked on the pontoon past a yachtie friend who was making some Dinghy Chaps (covers for his dinghy tubes).
    He is a precise person who knows how to sew but he was having trouble with the domestic sewing machine.
    "How are you doing?" I asked - his reply was "There is going to be a big splash in a minute!"
    So, I offer to lend him the Sailrite - the answer was an immediate "Yes Please".
    A few hours later after dropping the machine off, I passed by to find that he was unpicking EVERYTHING that he had sewn with his domestic machine and restitching it using my Sailrite.
    A day later, he had his own Sailrite on order!!!

So, here is a pic of the Sailrite on JW's Cockpit table.

So, now pics of my results - all my own work!! (with a little help from Sailrite and their Youtube videos)

First the Cockpit:-
    This year, we had all our external cushions recovered by Martin at MJ (another story)
    So this is a loose fitting cover that I made for the cockpit cushions.

The great thing with the Sailrite is that every stitch is the same - something very difficult to achieve when using a domestic machine on canvas.

Flybridge
    All these covers were done as single "projects".
    The first one was a cover for the helm seat/BBQ
    Here is the result

Then I made a new hatch cover

And then a cover for our console. The old one blew off in the winter winds so we really did need a new one.

And covers for our new flybridge cushions

Unlike the original Princess covers, this time I added zips to split the cushion covers.
    So that we can access the coolbox

And sections can be removed for times when we don't want to remove the whole cover.

Finally
    I had some time available at home this year so I made a complete set of cockpit covers (curtains).
    I made them at home using an old set of covers as a template.
    Unfortunately they didn't fit very well and needed quite a bit of alteration later when I got to the boat.
    SWMBO popped home for a couple of weeks during the summer so I used that time to fit the covers.

Here are the cockpit covers.

You will notice that all the fabric is Grey.
    This is because it seems to me that "Grey is the New Blue"
    The actual fabric that I used is very cheap and I don't expect it to last very long.
    That said, I have been learning and even if I had used expensive material, I would have wanted to remake some of these covers again.
    I have learned a lot.
    The biggest lesson though is not to copy the original covers exactly - and use my own ideas as I have become more experienced.
    For example, the cockpit covers include a rain flap like the original ones supplied by Princess.
    I now think it is better to create a conventional zip slot with an overlap (like the ones I made for the flybridge cushions) - easier to "zip up and down" and easier to make.

I hope you find this post interesting.
    I have enjoyed making them - a kind of new hobby.
    There are already new sewing projects lined up for next year!!!

That's awesome Mike!

Excellent work there, the machine has already paid for itself.

Despite what I had to say in post 23 about fabrics, I have just bought some Sauleda. I have used it before, available here at a good price, in fact it has just been reduced further:

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/product...ant=6809916931

Worth a chat with them, they claim it to be as good as most things and I certainly had no problems with the previous lot I used.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Excellent work there, the machine has already paid for itself.

Despite what I had to say in post 23 about fabrics, I have just bought some Sauleda. I have used it before, available here at a good price, in fact it has just been reduced further:

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/product...ant=6809916931

Worth a chat with them, they claim it to be as good as most things and I certainly had no problems with the previous lot I used.
    Yes - I was looking at that fabric on the internet this morning.
    I want to start looking at different fabrics and I like ProFabrics/Point North - I ended up buying most of my materials from them and fully intend using them in the future.
    I didn't see that reduction in price though.
    So, thanks for posting that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hope you find this post interesting.
    You bet. I'd call it shocking, rather than just interesting...
    I would have gone nuts before finishing the simplest of the covers you made - congrats for your commitment and patience!

One question about external cushions covers: are you leaving cushions outside all year round, just covering them whenever the boat is not used?
    I am asking because in my boats I always had a light cover for summer usage, quick and easy to fit and remove.
    But in the winter, we always brought all the cushions inside, filling one of the guest cabins with them.
    In fact, swmbo always assumed that by leaving them outside, even if covered, humidity and salty air would have prematurely stained/ruined them.
    Should you confirm that you didn't experience any problems leaving them outside, we might reconsider that...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast