Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    253

    Default What am I missing here??! ... .pipe sizes

    Just fitted in to the heads a brand new Whale/Henderson mkV manual pump with a claimed connection size of 38mm. It is to empty the holding tank.

    Slid on the existing outlet pipe (not mega easy a reasonable bit of force), it was suffering from a little calcification but nothing a quick wipe didn't sort. And hey presto - leaks like a sieve. I don't mean a little weeping either... it p1sses out.

    Prior to fitting the pipe to the pump I shortened it by 6" to fit so it's not like the end was stretched from an old fitting. The pipe is about 12 months old, bought from Force 4. Standard sanitation hose, 38mm. New jubilee clip was affixed. When I previously fit the other end of the same hose to the seacock (Blakes) it was an absolute bugger to get on. Had to warm it in boiling water to get it on.

    Am I missing something??? 38mm is 38mm....or is it not?
    Last edited by Sea-Fever; 30-03-19 at 14:51.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Known Universe
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: What am I missing here??! ... .pipe sizes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Fever View Post
    Just fitted in to the heads a brand new Whale/Henderson mkV manual pump with a claimed connection size of 38mm. It is to empty the holding tank.

    Slid on the existing outlet pipe (not mega easy a reasonable bit of force), it was suffering from a little calcification but nothing a quick wipe didn't sort. And hey presto - leaks like a sieve. I don't mean a little weeping either... it p1sses out.

    Prior to fitting the pipe to the pump I shortened it by 6" to fit so it's not like the end was stretched from an old fitting. The pipe is about 12 months old, bought from Force 4. Standard sanitation hose, 38mm. New jubilee clip was affixed. When I previously fit the other end of the same hose to the seacock (Blakes) it was an absolute bugger to get on. Had to warm it in boiling water to get it on.

    Am I missing something??? 38mm is 38mm....or is it not?
    Did this Job last year 38mm hose the reinforced one and it never fitted around any 38 mm either had to heat and stretch the ends and really force in into the fittings. double clipped it and fastened as tight as I cloud get it as the reinforced ribbing needs to be squished tight.
    Blakes might also be imperial if an old boat
    Flying birds have no master

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    533

    Default Re: What am I missing here??! ... .pipe sizes

    As Flying Goose says, it may be imperial to metric. And 38mm is not always 38mm! When I replaced my fuel filler pipe the connectors for 38mm were a loose fit. As per FG I double jubileed them. I think it's also that we never really completely accepted metric (eg 15mm, half inch tap connectors). Who knew that plumbing could be topical?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    21,770

    Default Re: What am I missing here??! ... .pipe sizes

    It is hard to believe that a pipe that needed to be forced on is such a wrong size that it will leak. I would suspect that the calcareous bits haven't been fully cleared or that some of it has damaged the plastic.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ardfern and Malvern
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: What am I missing here??! ... .pipe sizes

    In my experience that armoured hose hardens with age and so may require a bit of heat (hot water) to make it supple and then will be squeezed by two jubilee clips. I would also apply a bit of sealant to help it to seal.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Me - Zumerzet Boat - Wareham
    Posts
    11,952

    Default Re: What am I missing here??! ... .pipe sizes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Fever View Post
    Am I missing something??? 38mm is 38mm....or is it not?
    Not when it's an inch and a half!
    38mm = 1.49606"
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: What am I missing here??! ... .pipe sizes

    I also use tee bar clips rather than worm drive jubilee clips, can compress hose much better if needed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,028

    Default Re: What am I missing here??! ... .pipe sizes

    Could it be that you actually have 40 mm hose?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: What am I missing here??! ... .pipe sizes

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Could it be that you actually have 40 mm hose?
    Er....I don't think so...but then is it a common size in chandlers, 40mm?? I literally looked at the white sanitation hose in force 4 at Deacons on the Hamble and got them to cut some off. Admittedly I didn't really look at the size. What surprises me is that when new I had to heat the tube to get it on a standard Blake's outlets seacock (1.5") but then a year later it's loose on a 38mm whale pump connection.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: What am I missing here??! ... .pipe sizes

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    I also use tee bar clips rather than worm drive jubilee clips, can compress hose much better if needed.
    Do you have a supplier for these?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to