Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why wonít my outboard start 😂

My Mariner 3.5 4 stroke outboard wonít start - Itís just a couple of years old and has been working fine - OK it has been in the garage all winter and normally needs more than a couple of pulls for its first start of the season (in a water filled dustbin) - it has fuel, had spark plug out and cleaned and kill cord attached (OK not true - I left it on the boat - but bungy cord wound round keeps the kill button far enough out - and this has worked OK in the past). It turns over but is not firing at all. What should I try ?

Default Re: Why wonít my outboard start 😂

Carb clean, fresh fuel, new plug.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Quote Originally Posted by FairMaid View Post
    My Mariner 3.5 4 stroke outboard wonít start - Itís just a couple of years old and has been working fine - OK it has been in the garage all winter and normally needs more than a couple of pulls for its first start of the season (in a water filled dustbin) - it has fuel, had spark plug out and cleaned and kill cord attached (OK not true - I left it on the boat - but bungy cord wound round keeps the kill button far enough out - and this has worked OK in the past). It turns over but is not firing at all. What should I try ?
    • Check spark. It should be possible to get a good powerful spark which will jump good 10mm.
    • Fresh fuel if not already fresh.
    • Check fuel flow to carb
    • Check compression
    • Try Easy Start
    • Clean carb

After attempting to start it, take the plug out and examine it. If it is dry, then fuel is probably not getting through. If wet, then the spark is not good enough. My guess would be that the carb jets are bunged up with fuel deposits.

Fuel goes off rather quickly, especially premixed. Sniff the tank. Smells foul? Found your problem. If the tank was dry you might try cleaning carb (needle drys out and sticks) and fuel filter and check fuel is flowing. All good? Can only be the spark or compression.

/luck ... mines a seagull so I feel your pain!

I'm not suggesting that you would be so silly, but my Honda refused to start after I filled it up with diesel.

Thanks for the replies - itís fuel (spark OK but dry) - have taken fuel tank off to look at carb - but Iím worried about taking carb off and dismantling - the user manual doesnít cover the carb and online YouTube video I found doesnít get me enthusiastic about tackling it - will I need new seals/gaskets if I dismantle ? - my only experience is of 2 stroke motor bike a very long time ago and lawn mowers - is it a job for the marina workshop or should I just not be a wimp and press on ?

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Small Honda carbs are pretty bomb proof in terms of taking them to bits and reassembling them. If you’re worried about it, remove the carb and clean the outside then do the dismantling slowly and photograph each stage so you can see which bit goes where. I use a tea tray with a lint free cloth on it to do the job on and lay out the bits with screws next to the it they retain and so on. You shouldn’t need to replace any seals or gaskets as you go, just take it slowly and gently prize things apart rather than brute force if you encounter any resistance.
    Search on line for a workshop manual or look for an exploded parts diagram so you can see what goes where before you take it apart.

It doesn't take much to block the jet on a carburetor to cause starting issues. Sometimes the jets are hidden behind rubber bungs within the carburetor, well they are on my Malta ....

I feel a little silly suggesting this but if you have a kill switch cord is it fitted?
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast