Default Fastnet - Crew Insurance

I am crewing for the Fastnet. I am not usually a racer so I dont have ongoing racing insurance. I was wondering whether insurance was necessary as if we are mostly in UK water any serious medical stuff would probably involved being winched off to the NHS. But in Irish waters, with possibly unclear EHIC arrangements by then, maybe I should get cover and if so who would you recommend?

Default Re: Fastnet - Crew Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1963 View Post
    I am crewing for the Fastnet. I am not usually a racer so I dont have ongoing racing insurance. I was wondering whether insurance was necessary as if we are mostly in UK water any serious medical stuff would probably involved being winched off to the NHS. But in Irish waters, with possibly unclear EHIC arrangements by then, maybe I should get cover and if so who would you recommend?
    I don't think many race crew have insurance. Especially not for UK based races.
    The only insurance company I've ever come across that offers personal insurance for sailors is Dogtag, though it's not something I've really looked into.
    You never know, I might be right!

Is it covered by the race insurance that the boat must have? Does third party insurance cover a crew member or just people/things on other boats?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1963 View Post
    Interesting question. Are you paying for a slot on a commercial enterprise or going shared costs on private boat? Different rules and considerations apply.

I got one off crew insurance for the RORC Caribbean from Sportscoverdirect . This was sold as a top up for normal travel insurance. They seem to cover most sort of sporting activities including offshore yacht racing. Google or call them on 01494 484800. (I am not connected to them other than being a customer. )
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

I make no comment on whether personal insurance is necessary, but if you feel it is then (UK) Austrian Alpine Club membership might work for you. It covers rescue/evacuation/repatriation expenses for leisure activities within Europe, at very reasonable prices. I have it for climbing but reading the fine print it mentions "aquatic activities", and unless you plan to enter the arctic circle I cannot see any direct exclusions. No idea how international waters would be treated though...

i would check out what insurance the boat has and see if you need to top up.
    If you are doing RORC qualifying races you may end up getting winched off to France not the UK.
    Topsail does an annual policy that covers sailing - medical, french coast guard fees etc

Hi Rosie,
    I think the best thing to do is see what insurance the yacht has that you are racing on... it would always be prudent/responsible to ask the owner/skipper to just give you a summary of what they have.
    If you are however doing some more races, like a rorc season , then it may be worth getting standalone cover - Sailors Insured is one brand I know of, and is run by Pete Cummings. They are pretty transparent about their prices and cover on the website, so worth a look!