Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Halyard Wrap - Installing a Fairlead

ok, so new to me boat seems to be suffering halyard wrap and a look through binoculars suggests the halyard is missing a fairlead. It is a Facnor furler and the instruction manual makes reference to a halyard deflector wheel - I believe this may have broken off, who knows, but it doesn't seem to be there.

What size rivet's would I need to fix a fairlead up there? Can they be small enough to be installed with a regular rivet gun?

Default Re: Halyard Wrap - Installing a Fairlead

If I've understood the system correctly, the deflector wheel fits on the forestay. I don't know what you're planning in the way of a fairlead, but it would have to be pretty meaty. As for installation, I reckon 5mm rivets should be fine provided the load in in sheer, not trying to pull them out.

One common cause of wrapping is too much slack, either in the halyard or the forestay. If you've got a decent angle (7 deg or more), getting the tension right on both should be all you need.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Commonly know as a halyard diverter. I've just fitted one when my mast was down as my doughnut was get a bit worn and not sitting perpendicular to the stay. I used 4.8mm monel rivets but I have decent rivet gun. It's a tough job up the mast with a small hand rivet gun.
    I fitted one of these Halyard diverter.jpg
    Last edited by Spyro; 01-04-19 at 14:41.

On the last boat I had a deflector wheel. Not impressed when the forestay went twang as I was getting the genoa off the foil at the end of the season. Would never have one again.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

I did this job on my 8.5 metre boat some years ago. The mast mounted fairlead had been fitted with Ali rivets and they let go (after several years!). I refitted the same fairlead with monel 5mm rivets. A normal hand riveter did the job, although it was very hard on the hands. I had the mast down, too.

A halyard diverter/deflector is certainly what you need. The force on the rivets is quite extreme and NOT in shear. You need very meaty rivets. After some years of use, our diverter tore at the rivet and had to be replaced
    davidej

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    On the last boat I had a deflector wheel. Not impressed when the forestay went twang as I was getting the genoa off the foil at the end of the season. Would never have one again.
    They are just a bit of light plastic, how did that affect the stay?

Agree with stemarís comment. My yacht does not have a particularly good angle for the genoa halyard to mast sheave. But I keep a close eye on the genoa halyard tension and the top and bottom furler bearings run nicely (Harken). I am wondering if having this nice free running furler perhaps has avoided any genoa wraps (touch wood). I my first year of ownership I realised that too much tension and the sail is difficult to furl and too loose and it soon could see there was a small risk of halyard wrap. Looking at my yacht it is obvious that a loose genoa could result in a wrap. Hauling on the backstay effects tensions and the Harken manual mentions that care is needed to avoid stressing the bearings too much by having the genoa halyard firm then easing what was a tight back stay.

Once I moveed the genoa down towards the deck slightly with a short strop at the top of the foil, but then was even more careful with the genoa tension. Any new short luff furling genoa i buy would have an extension of the tape at the top rather than a strop to make up the distance.

Having owned a yacht in the past with hank on sails I do often think they have their merits on a smaller yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by steveej View Post
    ok, so new to me boat seems to be suffering halyard wrap and a look through binoculars suggests the halyard is missing a fairlead. It is a Facnor furler and the instruction manual makes reference to a halyard deflector wheel - I believe this may have broken off, who knows, but it doesn't seem to be there.

What size rivet's would I need to fix a fairlead up there? Can they be small enough to be installed with a regular rivet gun?
    That was the first job we had done on our SO 32; had a deflector wheel fitted to cure the halyard wrap; been fine ever since fingers crossed
    Yacht: White Pearl - Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32i

The diverter fitted to my boat had been fixed with setscrews tapped into the mast. They pulled out, and I replaced them with a new diverter fixed with 6.4mm monel rivets. I took the mast down for that and other jobs.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast