Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mainsail outhaul block specification

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Our 40ft boat had the outhaul on a 12:1 tackle, no winch needed.
    Whatever tackle you have, the clew slide will have to be pretty special to move with sheet hard in and the kicker on. If you are going to drag it out against the friction from the luff tension, you will need to seriously uprate the blocks and lines.
    Yes I see what you mean. I guess I’ll set it up with what looks about right and give it a go. I don’t really have the option of using a winch. There are halyard winches on the mast I suppose, but it would be a horrid lead and I’m not going to fit any new equipment on the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    Yes I see what you mean. I guess I’ll set it up with what looks about right and give it a go. I don’t really have the option of using a winch. There are halyard winches on the mast I suppose, but it would be a horrid lead and I’m not going to fit any new equipment on the deck.
    You shouldn't need a winch. If it turns out that whatever you fit isn't man enough to get the outhaul on hard when the sail is fully powered up (and few are without a winch) then you either need a quick sheet ease, bang the outhaul on and sheet on again, or just remember to do it before you get to the bottom mark....
    You never know, I might be right!

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    You shouldn't need a winch. If it turns out that whatever you fit isn't man enough to get the outhaul on hard when the sail is fully powered up (and few are without a winch) then you either need a quick sheet ease, bang the outhaul on and sheet on again, or just remember to do it before you get to the bottom mark....
    Yup that is basically my approach to all trimming, including headsail sheets. I do have little winches there but often it is actually quicker to luff for a few seconds rather than try to grind. Old boat, old winches, old crew, and not much point in going nuts

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Graham races his Fife... Perhaps the Bentley Drivers Club or the Bugatti Owners Club may have some ideas about staying in period and true to design whilst going a little faster. Carbon fibre inside the hollow silver spruce mast is not recommended, though...
    Last edited by Minn; 05-04-19 at 14:44.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12