Default Solent Forts Maintenance

I recall in the early 80's that some of the Palmerston follies in the Solent were lifted off their foundations and towed into the special drydock in the naval dockyard for their 40 year refits.

This is to check the integrity of the wrought iron cladding which not only served as armour plating against the pesky foreigners who were trying to attack, but also gave vital bouyancy to the structures.

This extra lift meant that the Victorian foundations could be less deep and extensive than otherwise required.

I think superheat6k (Trevor) of this parish was involved with one of the technical teams tasked with their removal and replacement.

Does anyone have a heads up on when the next lift is scheduled for?

Default Re: Solent Forts Maintenance

They might need to source some 'sky hooks' to assist the removal .

I understand they use tartan anti foul on the below water areas

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.

They’re no longer on the seabed.

They’re permanently float and each is held in place with a solitary Rocna anchor.

I saw the original article in the Pompey paper. They had problems at first with the tugs trying to unscrew the fort from the seabed. Didn’t realise it had been put in with a left hand thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartwineberg View Post
    I saw the original article in the Pompey paper. They had problems at first with the tugs trying to unscrew the fort from the seabed. Didn’t realise it had been put in with a left hand thread.
    Spitbank Fort was built later and that utilised the Whitworth thread which was then becoming available in 3 ft diameter bolts. This was the start of the standard now known as "righty tighty"

Once they get them unscrewed they could use my Inflatable trailer idea to float them back to the shore to tow them to the inspection area then they would have a seamless move from water to land.
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.