Thread: Which autohelm?

Default Which autohelm?

In the market for an autohelm. Centaur 26 ft. As I can't find a second hand one. Any opinions on the best unit to buy. Raymarine st2000 or ?

Default Re: Which autohelm?

I purchased a new Raymarine 1000 for my 25 foot fin keel yacht.It has done lots of miles without any problems.

.Centaur will be heavier on the helm so the 2000 is probably the right one.

There seem to be far fewer complaints concerning Simrad's TP range than Raymarine's down at 'entry level'. My TP32 has always taken me where I told it to, even when perhaps it shouldn't.

I have always admired this one. Seems much more robust than Simrad/Raymarine.

https://pelagicautopilot.com/product...h-tiller-drive

We had ST2000 on Centaur, found 1000 under powered. That was 20+ years ago and I don't know current makes/options.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    In the market for an autohelm. Centaur 26 ft. As I can't find a second hand one. Any opinions on the best unit to buy. Raymarine st2000 or ?
    The Centaur is very slightly over the max recommended displacement for the ST1000, but if on a tight budget it will probably be adequate

However the ST 2000 will be the better choice based on displacement weight. It is also FASTER, with a lock to lock time of only 4.5 seconds compared with 6 seconds for the ST1000

The speed of the ST 2000 would make it my choice

If you look at the Simrad Tiller pilots take into account their lock to lock speed.

Also take into account the ability of the various tillerpilots on offer to interface with other electronic equipment if that is of interest to you.

The Pelagic is a very solid piece of kit - I bought one last year because I was fed up with my leaking ST1000's (needed two to make sure one was serviceable). It will hold a course in a quartering sea where the ST1000 struggled (25ft, 2 ton boat).
    Purchased on the US website, came in at 841 GBP after import duty & vat. Support could be an issue in the future but considerably cheaper than the Raymarine EV100 equivalent.

I had an ST1000 on my Mirage 28, it struggled in a quartering sea and sometimes gave up altogether. Mirage 28 is probably similar weight and resistance to a centaur so I'd say an ST2000 or equivalent would be ok. The Pelagic is a different animal to the other tillerpilots more comparable to the Raymarine 2 part autopilots which seem not to have the problems associated with the cheaper 1 part units.