Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Potential problems with a mud berth ?

Thank you to those that replied to my earlier thread about berthing options in the Swale.

I have another question, I hope you will be able to give some advice on.

The boat (bilge keel Moody 27) I am purchasing has an engine cooling water inlet sited exactly on the centreline of the boat between the two bilge keels.

My question is: - once afloat on the rising tide, how likely is it that the inlet will have become clogged with mud from the time the boat was resting on the creek bottom, hence causing problems once the engine is running ?

Any thoughts ?

Regards

David CJ

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Potential problems with a mud berth ?

I used to keep a boat in a mud berth.

The answer is - absolutely guaranteed!

You need to have the type of inlet strainer that allows you to push a stick through to "un-bung" it.

I've not had a mud berth but know of people who have had problems. If the stick approach won't work, my method of using a dinghy foot-pump stuck in the hose via the Vetus-type raw water strainer might. It is the only way open to me with a saildrive. (Yes, I know that I could fit a separate intake but I'm not in the mood).
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

during 25 odd years of sitting on tidal Medway mud berths with various single and twin engined MoBos and visiting many drying mud berths such as in Faversham and Conyer have never ever had a problem with mud blocking any water intake including raw water engine intake.
    Have never closed seacocks either.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    during 25 odd years of sitting on tidal Medway mud berths with various single and twin engined MoBos and visiting many drying mud berths such as in Faversham and Conyer have never ever had a problem with mud blocking any water intake including raw water engine intake.
    Have never closed seacocks either.
    After 25 years of sitting on tidal Blackwater mud berth including in a winter mud berth, not never ever a problem!
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    After 25 years of sitting on tidal Blackwater mud berth including in a winter mud berth, not never ever a problem!
    But we have better quality mud in the Blackwater than some of those other plaaces
    I respect my elders, but I can't find many now

I've never had problems either, with and inlet like yours and with a saildrive leg inlet. Generally the surface mud tends to 'emulsify' as the tide returns (I used to be part of a HMCG Mud Rescue Team so this was a useful feature when trying to extract someone!) and I guess it tends to falls away from the inlet. One downside is that you may find that your raw water pump tends to wear faster.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

The cases I heard of were in the Colne, where we have real mud.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I have a Moody 27 on a mud berth at Great Wakering - not encountered a problem as yet myself.

I consider the mud would possibly be too wet to cause any real issue after refloating each tide, or the fact that the bilge keels do provide a slight buffer from the overall pressure of mud ingress? I always check for outflow of raw water cooling from the stern of the boat regardless.

I have a deep keel boat in mud at Faversham. I close the engine seacock when I leave the boat and never had a problem with the engine cooling water intake. Though I once forgot to close the sink drain and that did get blocked. Be sure to have something in place to clear the blockages if they DO occur, and that will stop them from happening

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast