Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Adding sweeps to a trailer sailer?

I would like something to get my bradwell 18 out of trouble should the ob fail and the wind be against me or non existent, particularly when exploring shallow creeks down on this essex coast.

Is it practical to add rowlocks to the boat? My oars are actually quite long, they separate into two parts for stowage, and each part is about the length of the usual stubby dinghy tender oars I see in use.

What would be involved, anyone done such a thing? any inspiration or technical knowlegde folks can point me to?

Or is it a daft idea?

Thx.

Default Re: Adding sweeps to a trailer sailer?

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    I would like something to get my bradwell 18 out of trouble should the ob fail and the wind be against me or non existent, particularly when exploring shallow creeks down on this essex coast.

Is it practical to add rowlocks to the boat? My oars are actually quite long, they separate into two parts for stowage, and each part is about the length of the usual stubby dinghy tender oars I see in use.

What would be involved, anyone done such a thing? any inspiration or technical knowlegde folks can point me to?

Or is it a daft idea?

Thx.
    Its not completely daft but these days with relatively reliable engines seldom if ever seen.

You efforts may be better directed at ensuring that your outboard will operate reliably.

Perhaps also make sure you can use the dinghy outboard in an emergency. I have done that once when a nearly new outboard failed ( luckily not far from my mooring) and once, by lashing the dinghy alongside, when the inboard engine of a Westerly 31 failed catastrophically half way between Alderney and Guernsey.

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

Just for fun I tried rowing my 18ft sail boat a couple of times, not with rowlocks but 2 of us rowing indian canoe style.

Progress was slow and hard work, and we were only playing about as we were becalmed. In any meaningful wind I really don't think we would have made much if any progress into a wind.

I would not allow sweeps on my boat. All that soot everywhere. Plus I do not have a chimney anyway, so have no need for one.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Ahh

When I belonged to Glenans Irish Sailing Club, we used 19ft dayboats called Glenans 570s that had originally been equipped for sculling, but the practice had for some reason been discontinued and the boats were equipped with a pair of home made paddles. The only time these would have been used was when becalmed and it was hard work even when there wasn't a foul tide.
    I've experimented with sculling a rowing boat and found it works ok, perhaps you should explore that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    When I belonged to Glenans Irish Sailing Club, we used 19ft dayboats called Glenans 570s that had originally been equipped for sculling, but the practice had for some reason been discontinued and the boats were equipped with a pair of home made paddles. The only time these would have been used was when becalmed and it was hard work even when there wasn't a foul tide.
    I've experimented with sculling a rowing boat and found it works ok, perhaps you should explore that option.
    Look on the web for youlos (sp) the chinese propelled quite large river junks with them. Like sculling but more efficient.
    Friend used to use his dinghy and Seagull, lashed to the quarter, to move his 34ft 13 ton gaff ketch around as it had no engine.

Rowing is far better than paddling. So fitting rowlocks would be the way to go, if you have oars long enough.

Shallow water ? What about a quant pole ....

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post

Is it practical to add rowlocks to the boat?
    I have oars on the Hunter 490 and they work fine. However, the trick is to get the longest ones you possibly an. Because the rowlocks are much higher above water than they would be in a dinghy, the oars stick up at a fair old angle and if they are too short that angle rapidly becomes ludicrous. I bought a pair of Lahnas which are the largest which can fir in the cabin for storage down a quarter berth. 2.8m, I think, and I'd have 3.8m if I could store them.

Roger Taylor uses long sweeps stored along the side decks on his Corribee and Achilles 24.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 02-04-19 at 20:12. Reason: Three mistakes corrected.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Roger Taylor has sweeps on his engineless yachts. Images 7 & 8 on the linked site show those on MinMing (a Corribee) but he also fitted them on the larger MingMing II.

http://www.thesimplesailor.com/photographs.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast