Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Buying a repaired boat

Sorry if my question sounds too lame, but there is always a first time .. I have been thinking about buying a boat and have across a good option ( in my opinion ) , however the broker advised that this boat (2006 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42ds) had an accident 3 years ago but since has been professionally fixed. What’s your opinion on buying repeared boat? Should I still consider or look for other options ? My main worry is that there could be many similar boats with murky past and some many brokers may not be that honest .

Default Re: Buying a repaired boat

What kind of damage? Could be anything from minor collision to keel ripped off on a rock.

In any case it is most likely that it has been repaired ina strong manner such that you may never know it had happened. Seems to me a good chance to press for a better price. It would not put me off. Although of course I can not see the hull to check the repiar. Perhaps a good case for a surveyor. ol'will

We were faced with this same dilemma when we found our current boat. It had run aground and broken a rib which had then been poorly repaired.
    We were made aware of this by the broker, Roland Vergriete of Snip Yachting in Ouistreham, who had had the boat surveyed prior to taking it in part exchange for a new Bavaria. We were persuaded to go and view it even though the proper repairs were pending. When there, I was shown the surveyors report which contained a list of actions and materials to rectify the damage and would render the boat ‘stronger than new’, it was very impressive. We agreed to buy, and the repairs were duly completed. Snip Yachting guaranteed the repairs stating that they would allow local to me boatyards to fix any problems with the repair.
    We are about to start our 14 th season with the 38s5 without any probems with the repair. They gave such a great service.

Would you buy a car that has been in a minor shunt, and been repaired? You probably wouldnt even know, if it had been done properly. The same applies here. But with something bigger like a boat, there's definitely a need for an independent expert opinion of the quality of the repair. As tjbrace says, you can end up with something stronger than the original - or not, depending on the extent of the damage, and how carefully it was repaired. The presence of a good IEO report will also be a strong selling point when the time comes.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Bought my current boat after knowing that she had been holed above the water line. Repaired professionally and not a problem.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

I would certainly ask for more information on the accident and the repair so you can make a fair assessment.

Repairs to non-structural elements would be fine, but if the repair is structural and you can't get a surveyor to inspect the quality of the fix then might be worth looking for a different boat.

I'd ask my insurers as to what they would need to insure this boat at normal rates.
    Not all who wander are lost

I agree with the others hull repairs are fine, if well done and provided the boat was not flooded.

Keel area repairs are different and will be a problem on resale. I might consider it for a boat I intended for very long term ownership, if it was an outstanding bargain, but then again probably not.

Ask to see the invoice for the work done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast