Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Visiting France after No Deal BREXIT

The following message from the Guernsey Yacht Club may be of general interest.
    N.B. It is relevant strictly only for boats from the CI, though you might extrapolate for passages from England to France.

We have been asked to distribute the following message to all members by the Guernsey Harbours Head of Port Operations. (A LNTM will also be issued on Thursday):

In the event of a “No Deal” BREXIT we have been advised that the French Authorities are indicating that visitors to France, arriving from the Channel Islands by sea, will have to initially report to a Frontières Maritimes Port to achieve Customs & Immigration Clearance.
    After this they can freely move between other ports on the French Coast, including to marinas that are not designated Frontières Martimes.

The Frontières Maritimes in Normandy are:
    Cherbourg
    Granville
    Carteret

The Frontières Maritimes in Brittany are:
    St Malo
    Brest
    Roscoff

Although Guernsey Harbours have received no official confirmation of this arrangement, boat owners should consider this whilst route planning in the “No Deal” BREXIT scenario.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Default Re: Visiting France after No Deal BREXIT

So, given that its a very long way from St Malo to Roscoff and I don't sail terribly fast nor can keep going on my own on long passages, does that mean if I prudently sail my British registered yacht from the Needles straight to Alderney, then drop down (via Guernsey of course) to a small harbour on the central North Brittany coast, then I'm at risk of being in the merde? If so, how bad will the merde be?
    Plan B...?

Surely any designated Port of Entry should be suitable e.g. Paimpol.

Quote Originally Posted by guernseyman View Post
    N.B. It is relevant strictly only for boats from the CI, though you might extrapolate for passages from England to France.

We have been asked to distribute the following message to all members by the Guernsey Harbours Head of Port Operations. (A LNTM will also be issued on Thursday):

In the event of a “No Deal” BREXIT we have been advised that the French Authorities are indicating that visitors to France, arriving from the Channel Islands by sea, will have to initially report to a Frontières Maritimes Port to achieve Customs & Immigration Clearance.
    After this they can freely move between other ports on the French Coast, including to marinas that are not designated Frontières Martimes.

Cherbourg
    Granville
    Carteret

St Malo
    Brest
    Roscoff

Although Guernsey Harbours have received no official confirmation of this arrangement, boat owners should consider this whilst route planning in the “No Deal” BREXIT scenario.
    I wonder how that will work with the Tour de Ports.

I guess like everything else in France, with a Gallic shrug.

Very odd because the Channel Islands were never in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    Correct. However, we have a relationship with the EU.
    The formal relationship is set out in Protocol 3 of the UK's 1972 Accession.

I agree with posts above suggesting that the proposed arrangement makes no sense in practice.
    I know my boat well and suspect it might develop problems somewhere short of one the Frontières Maritimes, compelling me to enter some port of refuge.
    Last edited by guernseyman; 02-04-19 at 20:08. Reason: addition
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    No but I understand they were designated as Special Member State Territories and, if we leave the EU, they lose that status.
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

I should not worry for a while
    We have not left yet & if T May & her bunch of remaining t..ts get their way we never will.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by guernseyman View Post

Cherbourg
    Granville
    Carteret

St Malo
    Brest
    Roscoff

That will upset St Vaast and St Cast along with every other marina / port / harbour that boats go straight to.

It will be interesting if a boat from UK clocks in at Cherbourg then stops off at St PP on the way to Paimpol.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast