Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Living near Saffron Walden, sailing out of Burnham on Crouch

Default Shout out for some help - Burnham on Crouch

Hi all,

Realise this is a very last-minute and cheeky request, but I've been left a bit in the lurch for this weekend by a friend.

I'm planning to coppercoat our Sigma 362 - she's been blasted and sanded down in preparation. This weekend looks ideal - temperatures at 12 degrees and forecast dry for the next few days - plus it works best for my availability around work etc. Because of the way it's applied, we need to get 4 coats on (at least) one after the other - applying the next coat when the previous coat is still tacky. Ideally, for a 36ft boat we need at least 3 of us to achieve this - I just have two of us now that someone has dropped out!

Happy to pay up to 100 for the help. She's based in the Royal Corinthian hard in Burnham on Crouch and we're planning to start at 10am this coming Saturday (6th April). Copious cups of tea and a fish supper would also be provided - along with a few beers at the end if you fancy.

Yes - I know this is last-minute and desperate, but would love to be able to get this done so we can get her launched and sailing!

Thanks for reading. I can be contacted on 07958 634 952 if you want to chat direct.

Cheers

Phil

Default Re: Shout out for some help - Burnham on Crouch

I may, indeed probably will, be free on Saturday and twiddling my thumbs up at Fambridge

But have you looked at the humidity forecast? Around 73% on Saturday! Not sure what the limit is for coppercoating but I'd be shying off epoxying if it's that high

Bru

Quote Originally Posted by Bru View Post
    I may, indeed probably will, be free on Saturday and twiddling my thumbs up at Fambridge

But have you looked at the humidity forecast? Around 73% on Saturday! Not sure what the limit is for coppercoating but I'd be shying off epoxying if it's that high

Bru
    Thanks so much - I've already had a long chat with Aquarius Marine (the coppercoat suppliers) regarding ambient temp, wind and humidity. They say it will be fine - there's a reasonable breeze on Saturday and actually it might help as you don't want the layers to cure too much before going for the next one. With drier and warmer conditions it cures so fast you are going hell for leather to get all the coats on one after the other.

If you are free and happy to help, that would be amazing. I'll drop you a PM shortly

Regards

Phil

Sounds good then, PM answered

Can't help, but I Coppercoated my Moody 31 a few years ago, and I would echo what you say about needing three people. One on mixing and stirring, two on rollers. That worked very well, to the extent that I'd suggest that more would just get in each other's way. The mixing and stirring doesn't sound like much, but it really does need someone on it full time; that person can also use a brush in the places a roller can't reach.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    Can't help, but I Coppercoated my Moody 31 a few years ago, and I would echo what you say about needing three people. One on mixing and stirring, two on rollers. That worked very well, to the extent that I'd suggest that more would just get in each other's way. The mixing and stirring doesn't sound like much, but it really does need someone on it full time; that person can also use a brush in the places a roller can't reach.
    Thanks - useful endorsement of my plans!! How is the coppercoat holding out a few years on?

Quote Originally Posted by kayenox View Post
    Thanks - useful endorsement of my plans!! How is the coppercoat holding out a few years on?
    I posted pictures when I lifted her out for the first time last year - slime and a little growth after 4 years in the water, but certainly nothing much (http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...ercoat-results). I think that the coppercoat is lifting a bit on the cast iron keel, but given that the pre-coating grit blasting showed the casting to be a poor one with a lot of inclusions and bubbles, that isn't too surprising.

Not trying to cause more trouble and gloom. It is not just the ambient temperature, it is also the temperature of the substrate. i.e if it bl**dy cold like last night, the substrate (aka the hull) will be cold and will need time for the substrate to warm up. I tried with one of those infra red thingies last week. Some wood in the sun, it says it is 14 degrees. Immediately put the wood in the shed and it was 6 degrees; i.e the real temperature of the substrate was 6 degrees.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Not trying to cause more trouble and gloom. It is not just the ambient temperature, it is also the temperature of the substrate. i.e if it bl**dy cold like last night, the substrate (aka the hull) will be cold and will need time for the substrate to warm up. I tried with one of those infra red thingies last week. Some wood in the sun, it says it is 14 degrees. Immediately put the wood in the shed and it was 6 degrees; i.e the real temperature of the substrate was 6 degrees.
    Thanks Roger - chatted this through with the very helpful suppliers. Ambient temp overnight is predicted no lower than 6 degrees which is only a couple of degrees below the minimum recommended. Given the morning to warm up we should be fine. If anything it gives us a bit more leeway as often the issue is that it is curing too quickly and you cant get it on fast enough.

Good, good. I think the overnight temperature will be better at the weekend. Tonight - ugh. And I wanted to be doing something this week with a brush myself.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast