Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mooring chain rusting

I think there's a river bailiff - don't know if he's the right person. Nigel someone?

From Daydream Believer:

As an example It has been found that stainless steel chain does not last as long in the Crouch. This is due to the soil structure further up the river. having elements that affect the steel
    Is it possible that a section of sea bed & hence different soil structure has been exposed due to erosion etc.

I think this is almost certainly the case if there is an issue. Wholly natural, last year's easterlies, up catchment runoff etc.. Its a dynamic environment.

a popular choice at the moment seems to be the rope riser - traditional ground tackle on the riverbed (chain and 2 anchors for us) with a rope riser made using modern rope with a load rating easily as strong as the chain it replaces. But are we just swapping problems? Rope (even very strong rope) is subject to chafe whereas chain is impervious.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalk View Post
    From Daydream Believer:

As an example It has been found that stainless steel chain does not last as long in the Crouch. This is due to the soil structure further up the river. having elements that affect the steel
    Is it possible that a section of sea bed & hence different soil structure has been exposed due to erosion etc.
    The three eyed fish that have been irradiated by Bradwell Power Station need more iron in their diet so they nibble on the chains and cause them to degrade more quickly. the worms in the mud also need more iron in their diet so they nibble on them as well.
    John Apps

deleted
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 06-04-19 at 14:54. Reason: inappropriate content
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

We have used a 25mm* 5 M length of multiplait in the the riser for the last 35 years & this can last for over 15 years if we change the nylon thimbles every 3 years. However, we design it so that it does not lay on the seabed too much. We also have 7-8 M of 19mm chain under it to give some catinery action.One does not get this with all rope effect. Above it we have 1.5 M of 16mm chain to keep it below prop level when motoring off.
    Last year we lost a boat because the new all 38mm polystell rope mooring wrapped around the keel which cut it like a knife through butter in wind over tide situation.
    We did originally intend changing but also found that the edge of the large thimbles we used cut the polystell rope if it could not flex across the mooring sinker properly. ie it needs to flop over in line with the rope otherwise if the thimble catches on the sinker it acts as a knife right where the splice starts.
    If we could prevent this, we would threadle some large chain links on to the rope at 1/3 & 2/3 depth to make sure the rope sank properly. Trouble is that without chain risers the boats veer about more & are more liable to tangle in the rope & cut it.
    We do not recommend boats above Drascombe size until we have more feedback on how polystell performs long term

We also get the odd, idiot, fishing boat, trawling right through our moorings, in the winter, which can cause chaos & abrade some ropes
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12