Default Connecting danbuoy and horseshoe

What do other people use? I thought 10m of floating line, but maybe this is too long?

- W

From South Devon, living SE coast Spain, boat in Algarve

Default Re: Connecting danbuoy and horseshoe

I have just measured ours - 5m yellow floating line - it came with the Dan buoy.

M.
    Bavaria 44
    Retro navigation - the way forward

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    What do other people use? I thought 10m of floating line, but maybe this is too long?

- W
    I have about 3 metres of floating connection my danbouy, horseshoe life bouy and floating light together. I have 2 of these setups. One of them also has a 20-30 meter floating line that is attached to the boat so I deploy the unattached first to mark position the the second one that is attached to the boat the sail in a circle around the MOB to get him inside the attached rope so it can be pulled in to get the MOB next to the boat.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Ours is about 3 meters. I like to be in the same sea area as the casualty.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

I did have them connected but no longer. I felt that it could slow up deployment, especially if there is some sort of unexpected rope foul up at the stern. I think there may be a case for deploying them separately.

I must admit, always wondered about how useful a safely line connected to the boat is as it may foul the prop, even if it is floating.

Some line in between the floating items makes a bigger target for a swimmer but too long it becomes a hazard

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by STOL71 View Post
    I must admit, always wondered about how useful a safely line connected to the boat is as it may foul the prop, even if it is floating.
    My line is in a "stuff bag" and is a water ski rope so only pulls out as the boat moves away from the danbuoy . I also have the port side attached so when I circle I turn to port which tends to trail the floating line away from the prop. Then again why for you need to have the prop turning it you are sailing you just turn so to sail in a circle and ignore the boom you will eventually cone head to wind and stop once you have capture the MOB
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

I have the HB and floating light tied together by a short length (circa 2m ISTR) of floating line. I also have a heaving line stuffed into a bag on the opposite side of the pushpit. Alongside this is another HB connected to the boat by about 50m of orange floating line that is stuffed into a cut-down gallon container lashed to the pushpit (came with the boat).
    N.B. Heaving lines etc., should always be randomly stuffed, rather than coiled or flaked into their containers, so that they run out freely. A heaving line, when purchased, usually has the line coiled and should be checked for continuity and then stuffed into its bag.
    Sailing in circles involves gybeing which the RYA (and Irish Sailing) do not recommend in a MOB situation as it adds complication to an already fraught scenario. There is a number of well tried tactics for MOB recovery which really need another thread........