Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Route from St Kats to the Crouch

Vis passage times

I've got the route from St. Kats to Burnham Yacht Harbour in my passage planning database so assuming an 06:00 lockout (the earliest they open the lock), depending on which day (and the lock doesn't always open that early of course) you're looking at around 9 and a half hours at 7 knots (10:38 without tidal influence, it's 73 miles) but you'll probably better that as the tidal data for the upper reaches of the Thames isn't available in my software

At 6 knots you're looking at 11 to 12 hours

I wouldn't be worrying overly much about what the tide is doing if locking out of St. Kats, Limehouse or South Dock. Just get out as early in the locking sequence as you can and get going! It's the lock times that constrain you rather than the tide times (albeit, of course, that the two are intimately related!)

At anything between 6 and 8 knots through the water, you should get a fair tide all the way once it turns in your favour after locking out

The caveat is that if you drop to 5 knots through the water, you'll miss the tide into the Crouch and you'll be punching it all the way from the top end of the Maplin onwards and looking at getting on for 15 hours passage time (at 5 knots it doesn't help much picking a day when you lock out a couple of hours before HW, what you gain by getting on the tail end of the flood up the Crouch you lose punching the tide down the Thames! Might save half an hour at best)

So if you can't maintain at least 6 knots through the water, breaking the trip into two legs becomes a very attractive proposition

I can run the calcs in a few minutes with specific dates, it's no hardship (I LIKE passage planning )

Limehouse and South Dock are OK (ish) if you are looking to save a few coppers (check and compare prices ) you will not be saving as much as you think.
    Limehouse is fine if you fancy a Indian on the A12 but its the DLR if you want to get out...and bang goes your marina savings.
    Been in South Dock several times, really is at the back of nowhere with nothing interesting walkable and only way way out via Clipper and there goes your marina savings.Cheapest way out in and out is cab.One decent pub, the wibbly wobbly bar and thats it.
    You might be able to get a berth in Chelsea but thats really too far up to be a useful stop and bit sterile .Good bogs tho !
    The Heritage Mooring just below St Kats are no no unless you have 30 m LOA and weight 50 tonnes.
    Last edited by oldgit; 06-04-19 at 20:04.

I like Limehouse it has better access times than St Kats from memory about 3.5hrs either side of H/W with a one meter draught and the friendly lock keepers will let you in and out whenever you like. And the Grapes is a two minute walk which is a great pub and with a great little restaurant upstairs ... you need to book.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquafan View Post
    I like Limehouse it has better access times than St Kats from memory about 3.5hrs either side of H/W with a one meter draught and the friendly lock keepers will let you in and out whenever you like. And the Grapes is a two minute walk which is a great pub and with a great little restaurant upstairs ... you need to book.
    last time we were in there Gandalfs staff was on display.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    last time we were in there Gandalfs staff was on display.
    Still is (or was last time I was in there!) Gandalf has been known to make an appearance occasionally too!

Think all those pubs backing onto the river have their merits, although one or two do tend to cater for a younger more boisterous crowd.

Bru, thanks for those timings and the offer of further help. We can happily cruise at 9 knots with the tide, not had much experience against it, but she definitely works quite hard. I'm going to St Kats at Easter, so can turn against the flow and see how she goes. Obviously would prefer to work with the tide as much as poss.
    Not sure of the dates as yet, will be around 5 June.
    Ta John
    Thanks to everyone else for the tips too, will catch up on them properly this week.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Suspect this trip is supposed to be a pleasure cruise and may well include the fairer sex, not a 100% bloke training exercise for entry to the the SAS.
    Not completely convinced either, if the view of the ballast wharfs near GYC quite match up to the view from Tower Bridge of the City at night. .
    Will dig out my old logs and get some timings for you.Have done both trips at around 6-8 knots.
    If you do spash out on St Kats, can recommend a decent restuarant just outside docks in Wapping High St, rather than eat in the franchised outfits nearbye.
    However to option of heating a Fray Bentos pie and a mug of tea aboard remains an option !
    Downside of St Kats, listening to the helicopters flying overhead, downside of GYC, listening to the Arco Avon unloading ballast at 02.00
    Just offering viable alternatives, as opposed to making assumptions what the purpose of the trip is and who the OP is having on board.
    Having been to St Kats, Queenborough etc, I think they are massively overrated... horses for courses.

Ideally need to know your optimum / preferred speed through the water without any tidal influence as the software I use will add the tidal influence to that

But it's not terribly critical on this one as at anything over 6 knots through the water, you can pretty much carry a fair tide the whole way

For what it's worth, with the ability to carry a fair tide I wouldn't bother stopping 'cos there's nowhere to stop that is anything other than a place to stop because you need to stop! (If you see what I mean and in my 'umble etc.)

Ah, 5th of June not so good. No morning locking that day. 7th of June is the first day in that sequence that has a morning locking and that's 45 minutes after HW costing you nearly an hour of fair tide. 8th of June is the first day where you stand a fighting chance of locking out at or before HW (assuming you get in the first locking and they don't dawdle penning you through)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast