Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Route from St Kats to the Crouch

Quote Originally Posted by STOL71 View Post
    Having been to St Kats, Queenborough etc, I think they are massively overrated... horses for courses.
    While understanding that, not everyone would consider £75 a night to stay slap bang in the centre of one of the most expensive cities in the world a bargain, even if there is only two of you on board and it is not unusual for most Mobo skippers to actually take wives and friends with them, the price per head is not outrageous.
    The view of the city at night is stunning and all 5 mins walk from your bunk.

We probably agree on Queenborough.

Oldgit: Yep, we like the vibe of St Kats. But horses for courses! The Grapes is a great pub to, if at Limehouse.
    Bru, thanks for checking out the plan. I think the most important thing for us is making it the most simple and safe plan (i.e. Max daylight window). We've been to Chatham before but never sea proper. I'm currently doing my day skipper.
    So, staying at Greenwich the night before would enable an earlier start. So happy to do that. Maybe assume a cruise speed of 7 knots with tide on top. Ta John

Also, the boat isn't the most powerful, so working with the tides as much as possible.
    A single trip might be a bit better for experience building but appreciate any recommendations that factor our inexperience. Ta John

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    While understanding that, not everyone would consider £75 a night to stay slap bang in the centre of one of the most expensive cities in the world a bargain, even if there is only two of you on board and it is not unusual for most Mobo skippers to actually take wives and friends with them, the price per head is not outrageous.
    The view of the city at night is stunning and all 5 mins walk from your bunk.
    10 minutes walk from Greenwich Yacht Club to the nearest tube station, the cable car and the clipper pier - you'd be be in London Bridge within 7 minutes by tube. You can't beat that for a mooring fee of about £20.
    Attached a few pictures of the pontoon and the club house and the water.
    image.jpegimage.jpeg
    Last edited by STOL71; 11-04-19 at 17:32.

STOL, looks lovely and does mean we are not tied by locking times for our best onward departure time.

Do you need a dinghy to get to shore? Do you need to book in advance?

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

I used to work just opposite there and could see the club moorings from my desk.

They did seem suffer from the wash of passing boats so it would be wise to ensure you are well fendered if coming alongside.

Edit - In my experience the sheer volume of waterborne traffic in such a confined space makes the upper Thames surprisingly rough - probably the nearest I have come to falling overboard while on passage was just downstream of the lock into Limehouse.
    Last edited by Little Grebe; 12-04-19 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Sowenna View Post
    STOL, looks lovely and does mean we are not tied by locking times for our best onward departure time.

Do you need a dinghy to get to shore? Do you need to book in advance?
    No need for a tender, walk ashore pontoon. You have to book though.
    It can be quite choppy there especially around HW, make sure you’re fendered off well, tiller a bit over to keep the boat off the pontoon.
    At a 5 knot average speed, leave an hour before HW North Woolwich and you get to Sheerness on the ebb, the following flood gets you into Queenborough.

Thanks STOL, any ideas on rough cruise times for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sowenna View Post
    Thanks STOL, any ideas on rough cruise times for that?
    It's 37NM or there abouts, 5 knot makes 7.5 hours.
    You have to leave an hour before HW as you only have 5 hours of ebb going east, going the other way it would be 7 hours of flood.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

With a spring ebb assisting doing twice that at times wouldn't be unrealistic

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast