Thread: Bilge paint

Default Bilge paint

Hi seeking advice

Would it be OK to paint the interior of a plywood enterprise with bilge paint?

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Bilge paint

Yes. Use International Danboline for this; it’s better than the alternatives and dries shiny and hard. I would not normally recommend International Paints but Danboline is definitely better than Hempels’ Bilge and Locker Paint for this. Use Epifanes for the bits that will show be they varnished or painted.
    Last edited by Kukri; 06-04-19 at 23:41.

As already said danboline will be a OK. Personally though for my cedar strip dinghy I’ve given up with varnishes and paints for the floor and use an epoxy with a grey colouring agent. I use West systems though cheaper Are available. In theory the colour pigment is not a UV protector and the epoxy will eventually suffer - well just try telling that to the bit I spilt on the patio 10+ years ago which is still immovable- anyway if the epoxy does eventually suffer I will just apply another coat!
    Of course the added advantage is that the epoxy is a tougher protection for the ply than paint.

Back in the day when Bell Woodworking made completed Mirror dinghies, they used Danboline to protect the internal surfaces of the buoyancy tanks. That was before widespread use of epoxies though. I assume that your Enterprise isn’t a new one, otherwise you would wish to varnish. I’ve had bad experiences with epoxy coated surfaces exposed to sunlight and avoid it like the plague unless the area epoxied is in the dark or overcoated with some other pigmented paint - and then it will last for ever.

Yes the sunlight degradation of epoxy is a bit of a mystery- I’ve just wandered out to the patio to check the blob still stuck to it - I’ve never chiselled it off just to see what happens. I think the key might be thickness- the epoxy was used in a clear form to sheath a ply dinghy about 15 years ago - the colour is now fawn, but the epoxy is absolutely solid and still well adhered. The blobs are 3mm+ thick. I suspect the surface has discoloured and protected the resin underneath.
    On the dinghy I applied 2 thick coats of grey, so probably 2-3mm in all. One year on, fully exposed to sunlight there is no sign of degradation.