Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Outdrive Service/Overhaul advice

I had my drives overhauled by the local Volvo dealer which included cone and shafts etc. They did a great job but let me forewarn you it's a sizeable bill. If the seals have worn a groove then it's likely they have done it to both inner and outer shaft. Parts bill there is eye watering. Basically my bill game to just shy of 6k which also included new gear cables and drive fitting etc. There comes a point (which I have passed) where to resurrect a drive you end up chasing the rabbit down the hole and in hindsight it's cheaper to replace them hard as that is to believe.

Hi Bruce, I guess I have to be thankful that I only have one outdrive to worry about. I already have a quote for the whole job and it is quite sizable but doesn't include shafts. This is the first time in 20years owning this boat from new that I will have a higher cost than just a service, so not bad (except trim rams, which was a corrosion issue-another story). Thank you for the heads-up appreciate your feedback.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I think I will go ahead and get the cone/shoe replaced while in the workshop, the last thing I want is find in 12months that I need to do it again which will be a costly mistake.

yes mine were just over 20 years old when I had the work done. Before you start down that rabbit hole just make sure you have costs for the entire job.

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    I have one which delays both forward and reverse from time to time. If I push the morse a little further (sort of past the notch but without putting on revs) it works fine. Is that stiff cables or still a cone issue?
    based on my own limited experience I'd say that is cable related. Either a routing issue or cable adjustment issue (too short a throw basically) or in rare cases you've bent the bell-crank slightly. Of course if it's not so much a past the notch affair so much as a delayed affair, then the selector may be worn or you've over filled with oil.

edit

re bell crank. If I swap drives over one of my drives becomes a bit notchy going from forward back into neutral. Can you imagine my irritation after having them returned from the shop and finding them on the wrong engines. I now have to wait till next maintenance season to sort. Does your head in. Yet if you look at the bell crank you can see no discernable difference , it should make zero difference, and I am at a complete and total loss as to why it makes a difference, I can only put it down to mechanical bedding in/ wear of matching parts.
    Last edited by BruceK; 05-04-19 at 11:32.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12