Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Antifouling alternative, Coppercoat, Marine films like RENOLIT Dolphin S

I was doing some research how to get our boat prepared for a new antifouling. I was also trying to work out cost of a Coppercoat and if we would really need an epoxy primer, or just a couple of extra coats of the Coppercoat- but then I came across RENOLIT Dolphin S, marine films from Renolit.
    Do you have experiences regarding the cost and durability compared to the traditional antifoul and a Coppercoat?

Default Re: Antifouling alternative, Coppercoat, Marine films like RENOLIT Dolphin S

After the original 2006 CC application, two weeks ago I did a second CC hull treatment.
    In 12 years I saved:
    - stress&headaches to organize simultaneous two hassle free consecutive weekends, free boat place on hard, good weather.
    - (350€ a.f. x year x 12 years= 4.200€) - 900€ CC cost = 3.300€.
    - liftout costs for spring pressure cleaning/scrubbing not included as propeller greasing and anode change are anyway a yearly task.

Change? No thanks.

Default Re: Antifouling alternative, Coppercoat, Marine films like RENOLIT Dolphin S

Quote Originally Posted by Shamaya View Post
    I was doing some research how to get our boat prepared for a new antifouling. I was also trying to work out cost of a Coppercoat and if we would really need an epoxy primer, or just a couple of extra coats of the Coppercoat- but then I came across RENOLIT Dolphin S, marine films from Renolit.
    Do you have experiences regarding the cost and durability compared to the traditional antifoul and a Coppercoat?
    No experience of this system but this is the future in my view.

I'm considering applying Hemel Silic which uses the same principle, except it's a painted application rather than a film. For any boat that can do 20 knots it seems a no brainer.

The film you mention will self clean at 7 knots so more suited to sailing boats....

If I use this I will report back!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Property View Post
    The film you mention will self clean at 7 knots so more suited to sailing boats....
    I looked at Hemel Silic as an attractive option then looked at the amount of time I spent doing greater than seven knots last summer (SOG not STW). About 5% of the time I was under way. The only conclusion that I could come to was it would not work for as as weekend and holiday sailors.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

We are considering Hempel Silic One as well.. I hadn't heard of RENOLIT Dolphin S so may look at that as well and see what information there is..

Sounds good, I think we we will go for Coppercoat as well! Did you have epoxy primer under or extra coats of CC as coppercoat people advise? Thanks

I have just received quotation from some "citrus fruit company":
    Dolphin-S Foul Release film & Installation £7,105.43 plus travel and NO Warranties!!!
    What can I say, I am not a lemon!
    Definitely Coppercoat!

Quote Originally Posted by gianenrico View Post
    After the original 2006 CC application, two weeks ago I did a second CC hull treatment.
    In 12 years I saved:
    - stress&headaches to organize simultaneous two hassle free consecutive weekends, free boat place on hard, good weather.
    - (350€ a.f. x year x 12 years= 4.200€) - 900€ CC cost = 3.300€.
    - liftout costs for spring pressure cleaning/scrubbing not included as propeller greasing and anode change are anyway a yearly task.

Change? No thanks.
    Thanks again, sounds great

Hempel Silic doesn't need much preparation, and its cheaper than coppercoat. I couldn't find much informations about yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamaya View Post
    Hempel Silic doesn't need much preparation, and its cheaper than coppercoat. I couldn't find much informations about yet.
    For my 7 metre sports cruiser I estimate the material costs at around £250. This is for the 2 pack basecoat, tie coat then topcoat of Silic one. In future years I can just repaint with Silic one. Having a "slippery bottom" seems better than leaching out biocides to me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast