Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Which are the best yacht knives?

First up - I have an aversion to cutting rope, so don't have much experience.

I try to ensure anyone on our cat carries a knife. I have spare knives for this who crew, empty handed. I carry a Currey's deck hand, sharpened (which has a shackle key slot and lanyard). We also have a 'yacht knife' also sharpened, dangerously. The yacht knife is an 'old fashioned' sheath knife. The yacht knife is stored in a 'instant tool block' (like a domestic kitchen knife block) which also holds a flat and star screw driver, spanner/shifter, alan keys and a torch and the block is attached inside the saloon cockpit within hands reach of the wheel.

When I do need to cut rope, after much should searching - it can be done at leisure, with a wooden board etc etc.

I had occasion to need a knife yesterday, rope round the prop and rudder.

We had to anchor, I had to dive - to find the razor sharp sheath knife was a waste of time and the Currey Deckhand might be great on deck but of little use underwater (too short).

There was no doing this at leisure in the warmth of the Australian sun, its Autumn here, it was lumpy and it had to be done NOW!

The most effective implement was a 'standard' domestic, serrated carving knife (I keep all our knives razor sharp).

However carrying a 30cm sharp bladed knife around deck, or in transit to a yacht, is hardly convenient - so what do people use that actually works. There maybe 2 options, a better yacht knife and a different personal knife or one tool that does all.

The suggestion needs to consider being an MOB and wanting to cut a tether.

And when I find a recommendation that suits I'll need to make anew 'tool block' as I am sure the better recommnendation will be a different dimension to the sheath knife (the tool block I made to fit what I thought would be needed ).

With thanks in advance

Jonathan

Default Re: Which are the best yacht knives?

For cutting ropes that have wrapped round the prop use a bread knife with a scalloped edge, the sawing action helps the cutting. It is scary sharp but there is no need to carry it round the deck.

Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Leatherman do serated blades on a lot of their knives. Also a lot of the newer sailing 'rescue' knives have a rounded tip and serated blade.

I use a small diving knife , which is designed to cut ropes and nets if tangled, also salt water resistant and comes in a nice sheath that can be put on a belt of attached to life jacket
    Flying birds have no master

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    For cutting ropes that have wrapped round the prop use a bread knife with a scalloped edge, the sawing action helps the cutting. It is scary sharp but there is no need to carry it round the deck.

And is also brilliant at cutting bread.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    And is also brilliant at cutting bread.
    Flying birds have no master

The serrated style blade does seem to cut through rope so much easier, usually in one swipe..

The sharpest we seem to have on board are the Gerber E-Z Out Rescue knives.. Incredible at cutting through rope.

I just worry when opening them that fingers get close to the blade. Blade locks out though and no pointy end but great at cutting.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Last season we picked up a length of polypropylene in open water that tied us to the seabed. I was able to cut the length to the seabed, enabling us to motor to a bay where I cut the rest of it off the prop. The knife shown in the pic proved highly effective with its mixture of straight and serrated blade.

Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Worth drilling a hole in the handle of the ships bread knife so you can tie it to something.

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Last season we picked up a length of polypropylene in open water...
    Many years ago, motoring past Chichester, I spotted a ships rope in the water. Feeling citizenly we pulled it on deck. It was 2" polyprop and weighed a ton. Completely filled a marina trolley.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast