Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fairline SQ55 (2009 build) Sleipner Stern Thruster Model Number

I need to replace the motor on my stern thruster but I can't identify it due to excessive corrosion (see pic), Fairline are being their usually unhelpful selves not responding to my calls and I've spoken to various Side-Power suppliers each have given me different possibilities. I think its an SE170, definitely 24 volt, the tunnel diameter is 250 mm. I want to source it from home but don't want to send the wrong unit out, will the later SE170 motors fit a 2009 version, what should I look out for? the boat is in the water in Corfu and I'm in England which makes it more difficult. I'm sure that Fairline would have a record but does anyone know who to contact or can anyone help in any way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Fairline SQ55 (2009 build) Sleipner Stern Thruster Model Number

have pm'd you

Quote Originally Posted by statgar View Post
    I need to replace the motor on my stern thruster but I can't identify it due to excessive corrosion (see pic), Fairline are being their usually unhelpful selves not responding to my calls and I've spoken to various Side-Power suppliers each have given me different possibilities. I think its an SE170, definitely 24 volt, the tunnel diameter is 250 mm. I want to source it from home but don't want to send the wrong unit out, will the later SE170 motors fit a 2009 version, what should I look out for? the boat is in the water in Corfu and I'm in England which makes it more difficult. I'm sure that Fairline would have a record but does anyone know who to contact or can anyone help in any way.
    You're wasting your time trying to call Fairline as they do not deal with customers directly. For all spares you should contact Bates Wharf with your HIN and they will liaise with Fairline to source the correct part for you.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    You're wasting your time trying to call Fairline as they do not deal with customers directly.
    For all spares you should contact Bates Wharf...
    P, I can see why some builders can decide to delegate final clients handling to their dealers only.
    But I think it's still reasonable to expect them to respond a client call - if nothing else, just to tell him/her to contact BW or whoever...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    P, I can see why some builders can decide to delegate final clients handling to their dealers only.
    But I think it's still reasonable to expect them to respond a client call - if nothing else, just to tell him/her to contact BW or whoever...
    I agree!

Try calling boats.co.uk

In 2009 I would imagine they supplied it.

The detail of it either ex factory or retro fit is probably in their records. at the risk of the obvious is the manual in the manuals pack which would give model ?

I've checked the manuals which are unfortunately generic and not specific for my boat, nice idea though!

Good point but unfortunately the boat was supplied by the then Fairline Dealer in Malta who is less than helpful, has no information or connection with Fairline now.

Sadly then it looks like Bates wharf ... whose service is “interesting “

I would (and have) contact Sleipner in the UK.

The address is
    Darcey Court, Long Meadow, South Brent TQ10 9EW

Phone: 01364 649400

Ask for Bryn Thomas
    He is a motorboater and is always helpful.

He probably won't be able to supply you directly with the replacement but he will be able to identify the thruster.
    I the early days, he replaced our flybridge helm unit under warranty and I remember him looking up the factory build slot number and hull number - in his own records to identify the part.
    Maybe he doesn't have the same records for Fairline but I'm sure he will help identify the part.

If the motor is still serviceable, there are people who will repair motors.
    Maybe DJEFABS on this forum will read this - he knows of a motor repairer in Maidenhead.

EDIT - I've just looked at the pic and it does seem past it.
    You will probably find it more economical to replace the whole thing.
    If it is any help our boat is a little older and we had a similar problem with our stern thruster - it seems to get damp in there.
    I managed to strip it down, repaint it and fit new brushes etc from Bryn.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 05-04-19 at 14:43.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast