Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Default Re: Boat falls off cradle killing owner at Weymouth

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Robert Newton was a good actor, but the drink killed him.
    Very likely. Drink and the devil did for the rest.
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    IIRC, the reason why the three legged stool is common is that all three legs will always contact the ground even if the legs are not of exact equal length. So it will not rock, whereas a four legged stool or chair can often rock unevenly.
    Though it's possible to prove that by rotating a four legged stool you can always find one orientation in which all four legs touch the floor. I used to set it as a challenge for first year engineers.

Hint: The proof is very easy, and relies on the Intermediate Value Theorem.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Back to the original discussion on the safety of cradles, I find it rather odd that the latest edition of YM on page 42 has a picture of somebody who has raised up the yacht cradle by setting it on 4 piles of bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin&Rene View Post
    Back to the original discussion on the safety of cradles, I find it rather odd that the latest edition of YM on page 42 has a picture of somebody who has raised up the yacht cradle by setting it on 4 piles of bricks.
    Perhaps the cradle was raised to gain height in order to drop the rudder ...if it was not possible/ acceptable to dig a hole. Bricks however are bad... Always use wooden blocks

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Though it's possible to prove that by rotating a four legged stool you can always find one orientation in which all four legs touch the floor. I used to set it as a challenge for first year engineers.

Hint: The proof is very easy, and relies on the Intermediate Value Theorem.
    My kitchen stool always rocks. All four legs never touch the floor at the same time. no matter how much I rotate it.

Modern office chairs have five castors ( something to do with Elfin Safety) Perhaps boat cradles should have 5 props

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    My kitchen stool always rocks. All four legs never touch the floor at the same time. no matter how much I rotate it.
    Sorry, I should have said that the proof is for rotating an evenly-legged stool on an uneven floor. Cut an inch off one leg of it and it will clearly always wobble on a flat floor.

Modern office chairs have five castors ( something to do with Elfin Safety)
    Nah, it's to get an even exhaust beat, assuming it's four-stroke.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    How many legs did he have then?
    3 like Jake the Peg!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin&Rene View Post
    Presume someone's nicked the wheels?
    It's iportant to use the right kind of bricks....

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678