Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Pictures of Panama

Jumble duck, here ya go!

That was 27X easier than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Jumble duck, here ya go!
    Many thanks. I'm sorry I missed it before.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by t21 View Post
    Cheers, M, was gonna try and find your vid. Btw, done it twice now.

Hiya ... i'll go again, probably early 2021 after another Atlantic lap in new-to-me cat, so summer 2020 in Canaries

What are the rules to be allowed through, I have heard it can be a pain especially in a smaller boat.
    Minimum speed, additional rope handlers etc.
    Webb Chiles has just completed his latest circumnavigation and ended up having to lift out and go overland on a lorry.

Quote Originally Posted by t21 View Post
    Hiya ... i'll go again, probably early 2021 after another Atlantic lap in new-to-me cat, so summer 2020 in Canaries
    Top banana. Did a transat last year on an Sunreef 74...... now that's being spoilt.

This in reply to Aquaboy above:

You arrive at Shelter Bay and loadsa agents descend on you offering their services. The marina management or other people might be able to advise who's best, but they are all much of a muchness. They organise it all and unless you are skinflint it's the best way to go. They book you in with Canal authorities, and can supply extra bods as required. You gotta have four line handlers per boat - they can be your own crew, or others people from other boats. You also get a pilot on each boat, supervising where to go, stop and so on. Without looking it up, i dunno a lower size limit ... but it's not cheap, $1500 for a 50ft catamaran ... it might easily be cheapest for smaller boats to crane out and transport by lorry anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
    What are the rules to be allowed through, I have heard it can be a pain especially in a smaller boat.
    Minimum speed, additional rope handlers etc.
    Webb Chiles has just completed his latest circumnavigation and ended up having to lift out and go overland on a lorry.
    You have to declare your boat speed on the application for transit. Put seven knots. In practice that will be more than you will actually need.

Yup, you will need a helm and four line handlers, provision for heads, handbaisin and cooking. The boat will be measured and inspected prior to transit. An agent is vital unless you are fluent in Spanish. Realistically if your yacht is under around 32 feet, it will be difficult. Road or train is an option and may actually be cheaper and quicker, I reckon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast