Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Princess Project 31

Viewing a Project 31 this weekend. (its a bit of a 'project' too, by the sound)

Perkins on outdrives. Points to check please. Cruising speed/ gph etc.

I'd assumed it would be displacement but Princess show one planing.

Thanks-

Nick

Default Re: Princess Project 31

where are you viewing

Quote Originally Posted by NickRobinson View Post

Thanks-

Nick

My dad had one ďwell he had a rlm 31 basically the same BoatĒ 30 years ago Engines and drives are quite bullit proof but might find that the drive kicks up when going in reverse but thatís an easy enough fix ,you prob only get about 8/9 knots ,they roll like a pig when at sea but you will prob get used to it , unless itís been done the window will leak but just a case of unscrewing cleaning up re fitting with new sealer , check the engine bearers arenít rotten, donít get to hung up about osmosis ours had a bit 30 yeas ago and itís still afloat now well it was last time I saw it ďabout 5 years ago ď Iíve always had a soft spot for them but if I was ever to have another one I would buy a rlm entice 32 look same but wider and have planing hull

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickRobinson View Post

Thanks-

Nick
    I have just bought one, my 2nd in 20 years. They are a good cheap boat but as the other poster has mentioned they do have their faults. My 1st one had signs of rot starting in one engine bearer so both were replaced. Windows leaked and also some water coming in from the outside handrails above the saloon. If it is the really old version with wooden rather than aluminium cockpit window frame then check carefully for rot at the joints.
    The Diesel Engines and Sterndrives are probably Perkins 4107 or 4108 coupled to Enfield 130 legs. The legs can take a torque of around 140 ft/lb I believe so if you ever think of re-engining then max Power would be around 70HP per leg - not enough to get you on the plane! I believe some later models where fitted with volvo engines and legs which would give greater power handling and allow you onto the plane.
    I am keeping the Enfield legs on Mine and removing the knackered Perkins 4107's and replacing with probably Perkins M65 (Prima Engine) or similar, depends on how much I can get 2 matched and marinised engines for ! ;-).

Thanks all- useful info. I'd been looking for a tired CW26 to bring back into use to keep a pretence at least of sailing but these older mobos have made me think. A bit worried about running twin outdrives after a 15hp shaft Yanmar.

The owner cancelled the viewing at Farndon BTW

Caveat Emptor unless you are looking forward to spending money and time getting a boat well past its sink by date back into useable condition.
    Suspect this is a boat for somebody who loves fixing rather than boating.

Chap on IOW had a wooden boat he lovingly devoted 25 + years to fixing up, finally launched it last year.Nearly sunk due to hull not tightening up and inadequate bilge pump.
    Used it once or twice . It never moved again.
    He recently passed away.
    Last edited by oldgit; 07-04-19 at 07:50.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Caveat Emptor unless you are looking forward to spending money and time getting a boat well past its sink by date back into useable condition.
    Suspect this is a boat for somebody who loves fixing rather than boating.
    That's one way to look at it but with me it is a case of fitting out the boat to how like to have it and taking pride in returning an old boat into use with many more years (hopefully) to go.
    My previous MP31 took 2 years to rebuild, almost 900 hours of hard work (yes, I kept a spreadsheet on EVERYTHING to do with the re-build), cost nearly £13,000 in parts and bought-in labour but at end of the day I had a comfortable cruiser with decent speed (cruise at around 14knots) and range and spent many long weekends and even weeks out on her with the family. We all loved it.
    I would much rather do it all again than buy a more modern all-plastic affair with no character :-(

If they are Perkins 4107's then expect the crankshafts to break, the cylinder liners to perforate and the heads to crack. All happened to both of mine! 4108's the same apart from the cylinder liners. Good boats and with plenty of bilge ballast do not roll excessively. 7 or knots cruising and a couple of gallons an hour for the pair. Bigger engines and drives will give planing speed.
    ps. I'm with you Steve. I get fed up with people who's only interest is saving money instead of having the boat they want equipped to suit their needs.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    ps. I'm with you Steve. I get fed up with people who's only interest is saving money instead of having the boat they want equipped to suit their needs.
    Exactly. I used to work as a Marine Electronics Engineer until last summer. I enjoyed working with the older boats, wheter wood, steel or early GRP. They all had 'character'. I never really enjoyed working on the newer plastic craft. Devoid of character, mass produced and a nightmare to work on (tracing or passing new cables).
    I re-engined my 1st MP31 to IVECO Turbo diesels and also fit VP Sterndrives. Great for getting from A-B quickly if needed but thirsty above around 2500 RPM. Sitting at around 2200RPM and on the plane used almost half the fuel as flat-out and 18-20 Knots!
    Personally, I think the MP31 and it's like are best value for money nowadays if on a tight budget, you are looking for a boat you can put your own mark on and are not afraid of some hard work (and skinned knuckles)!
    When finished mine will be a 5+2 berth, equipped for extended cruising but also for a day or weekend out fishing from the big cockpit :-)

[QUOTE=PCUK;6756181 [I get fed up with people who's only interest is saving money instead of having the boat they want equipped to suit their needs.[/QUOTE]

If you want to save money do not buy a boat ......... if you want to actually go boating , there is almost certainly a boat out there that somebody has kept in good repair and/or already done restoration work and well aware he will not get a fraction of his money back .
    Unless of course you rerally enjoy mending boats.
    Last edited by oldgit; 07-04-19 at 18:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast