Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Princess Project 31

Aha O.G. You've hit the nail on the thumb! I do enjoy mending boats as much as using them, as do many others. Probably cos' they never go wrong when under repair!
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

If it wasn't for wanting a better cruising speed I would have my old rlm31 back in an instant, better looking than my 30ds and far more comfy, for inland use they are great.

Yep, My old Senior 31 is still going strong at 54 years old and the same 4107's. I haven't seen her for 36 years but her current owner sent me some pics a couple of years ago showing how he had refurbed her once again.

A worry would be osmosis for me. Reknowned for it generally.

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    A worry would be osmosis for me. Reknowned for it generally.
    ...suspect that a spotty hull, is going to be the least unexpected of the "interesting" little problems likely to emerge as the rebuild goes on ?
    Last edited by oldgit; 12-04-19 at 06:38.

In my expensive experience, oldboats suffer less from Osmosis due to the super heavy layups when resin was cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    In my expensive experience, oldboats suffer less from Osmosis due to the super heavy layups when resin was cheap.
    Generally you may be right but certainly up here in Scotland there are certain makes and models of boats that are left in lochs, rivers or canals for 30/40 years or similar without regular lifting out. This senior/project/princess hull....fits right into that category like no other Iím aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    Generally you may be right but certainly up here in Scotland there are certain makes and models of boats that are left in lochs, rivers or canals for 30/40 years or similar without regular lifting out. This senior/project/princess hull....fits right into that category like no other I’m aware of.
    Previous boat, a Transocean 37, had its hull moulded in 1978 by Aquafibre, it spent much of its life on freshwater in the Norfolk Broads before finally ending up on a mix of brackish esturine water .
    Not a single blister anywhere.
    Think Aquafibre must have have moulded more hulls in the 1970s than everybody else put together.
    Boats fitted out by Broom/Failine/Princess/ Moonraker and hire craft by Herbert Woods were all based on the same hulls.
    Do not think that early mouldings have bad reputation for fibreglass pox,. however am aware of later Broom 10/70 located on the Thames suffering a really bad case.
    Last edited by oldgit; 13-04-19 at 07:07.

Anyway, if the boat is having a rebuild then DIY Osmosis repair is not a big deal. Blast, dry and epoxy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12