Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Seacocks Repalce or not

My seacocks are bronze with nickel brass ball valves
    Original equipment oh a 1999 Sealine F36
    Just had the engines serviced and a few bits attended to and the VP dealer doing the work says the seacocks should be replaced as the "engine ball valves and skin fittings are corroded"
    They are having a look at the others for me on Monday
    When the boat was surveyed, two years ago, the surveyor said they seemed to be in good condition but the material used has a finite life
    I'm sure every thing has a finite life but how long should these last?
    I have been been quoted £200 per fitting and the are eleven of them! The yard crane, a different company, may do me a deal on a weekend long lift and hold
    I am not doubting what I am being told and I trust the company doing the work, from past experiences with them
    Any comments more than welcome

Thanks
    Last edited by Sneds; 07-04-19 at 06:19.
    See the rainbow not the rain

Default Re: Seacocks Repalce or not

Nickel brass is not good quality for underwater fittings. Brass should not be used underwater and gate valves are not good.

For safety and to demonstrate to your insurance company that the boat is well maintained the rule of thumb is to remove dismantle and inspect skin fittings and vales every seven years.

However it is more practical and prudent to replace them with DZR fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    However it is more practical and prudent to replace them with DZR fittings.
    or grp fittings (Marelon, Trudesign)

200quid a pop seems a lot, I guess it's parts+labour

Parts and labour and VAT included
    See the rainbow not the rain

Iain, I replaced one of mine 2 years ago, not for corrosion, but a sticking ball valve. The new one then stuck less than a year later! You will be due a lift to clean sterngear, check anodes and antifoul. Have a good look at the skin fittings when lifted.

I would get them replaced, you have done well on a 1999 Sealine, it was around that year I think when Sealine changed to cheaper material seacocks.

Have you tried Dan from c-line (ex Sealine), he did my Sealine seacocks on my 1999 boat and very happy with his work and price.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    The last time I checked, both were only available up to 2", i.e. not enough for my 3" engine intakes.
    But aside from my own needs, generally speaking I couldn't help wondering why they don't produce them in larger sizes, if they really are so good...

I replaced some earlier this year.
    I did the work myself (with help form friends).
    I only intended to replace the skin fittings but when I got them apart, the old seacocks had a strange thread (American NPT).
    These were 1.5" fittings and the easy solution for me was to replace the seacocks as well.

I wouldn't think a job like the OP's could be done during a "lift and hold".
    This kind of job "grows hairs" and it would be much better to be properly "blocked off" to do that many in one sitting.
    Don't be fooled, though, replacing seacocks can be time consuming so that figure of £200 each might be good value if you are paying someone to do it.
    Maybe pay someone on a "time and materials basis" if you think £200 is too much.

The skin fittings that I replaced were about 11 years old and there were small some signs of corrosion on the outside when we lifted last year.
    So, that was the reason I decided to replace them.
    But once we had cut them out, it was clear that they had plenty of life left.

In the OP's case, it would seem to be a good idea to replace them as they are coming up to 20 years old.
    Maybe a scheduled replacement over a period of several years - doing the worst ones first????

Are they bonded (wired to the boat's electrical earth) - that should give them a longer life - lots of different views on bonding though.
    Mine aren't bonded but are in good condition after 11 years.
    Hopefully these comments may help.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 07-04-19 at 11:26.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki_ View Post
    Iain, I replaced one of mine 2 years ago, not for corrosion, but a sticking ball valve. The new one then stuck less than a year later! You will be due a lift to clean sterngear, check anodes and antifoul. Have a good look at the skin fittings when lifted.
    I greased the insides of the balls of the new seacocks thoroughly with waterproof grease before refitting.
    Maybe this will help sticking.
    But, I don't have any stuck seacosks (yet)
    There is an old saying - "whenever you see a seacock - operate it".
    I don't do that but I do operate most of mine regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post

200quid a pop seems a lot, I guess it's parts+labour
    There was an article in MB&Y may edition (p94) about Leesans new range of corrosion-free skin fittings. Priced from £11.30 May be worth a call.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast