Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Default Golden globe - one opinion

https://www.morganscloud.com/2019/04...how-to-fix-it/

Agree with most of this, one of the comments summed it up..
    No, this is like sending climbers into the Himalayas with wooden ice axes and no oxygen.
    Didn't have to be that way.

The report on why Susie's JSD bridle parted will be interesting.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Golden globe - one opinion

I'm not ocean experienced, but the article seems spot on to me.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Interesting to read that wizer and more experienced people than me think the whole adventure was fundamentally flawed.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

I'm not so sure, everyone who survives a storm believes it was due to their superior tactics, I tend to think that Peter Hayward (All Seasons Yachtsman) was right when he wrote "Despite sensible design and all the techniques open to the seaman, a yacht, up to about 40' length, will have to rely too much on luck if voyaging in our roughest ocean regions." No one likes to admit they were lucky and got away with it.

Itís a quiet Sunday morning so I clicked on the link and read the article in full. I know very little about the 2018 GGR, Iíve superficially read a few of the posts on here from time to time but have poor recollection of much detail.

My first thoughts as I read the rant (his words) was that it was an advertisement for the Jordan drogue.

I hope Iím wrong and that he genuinely is trying to make a contribution to southern ocean sailing safety. He does come across as extremely biased towards Jordan drogues. Perhaps they really are the panacea he suggests?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
    I'm not so sure, everyone who survives a storm believes it was due to their superior tactics, I tend to think that Peter Hayward (All Seasons Yachtsman) .....will have to rely too much on luck if voyaging in our roughest ocean regions........
    Or good weather info and passage planning.... however the approaches to the Capes themselves relies heavily on luck in one's timing......

Quote Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
    I'm not so sure, everyone who survives a storm believes it was due to their superior tactics, I tend to think that Peter Hayward (All Seasons Yachtsman) was right when he wrote "Despite sensible design and all the techniques open to the seaman, a yacht, up to about 40' length, will have to rely too much on luck if voyaging in our roughest ocean regions." No one likes to admit they were lucky and got away with it.
    I rather agree with Lin and Larry Pardey: "In a storm at sea, luck is highly biased towards the sailor who has a plan".

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    My first thoughts as I read the rant (his words) was that it was an advertisement for the Jordan drogue.

I hope I’m wrong and that he genuinely is trying to make a contribution to southern ocean sailing safety. He does come across as extremely biased towards Jordan drogues. Perhaps they really are the panacea he suggests?
    I too am a great fan of the series drogue, though the one I used was only part complete according to Jordan's design. Although you can buy them, most people make them - something to do on those long watches. Of course, it is only of use on ocean passages, and then when you are intending - or obliged - to travel downwind.
    Last edited by AndrewB; 07-04-19 at 10:01.

If the link, provided by GHA, was a serious attempt at reducing risk then there is surely a moral demand that the information be fully provided free of charge.

Yes - Morgan's Cloud is a business - but surely if you feel passionate about reducing risk and saving lives then ...?

Don't base your sales pitch on engendering fear which might, or might not, be assuaged by a subscription.

If we take part of the message to a logical conclusion then we should cancel the Fastnet, Sydney/Hobart, Volvo, RJK's Clipper Races, etc etc and maybe ban sailing at night or solo

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    If the link, provided by GHA, was a serious attempt at reducing risk then there is surely a moral demand that the information be fully provided free of charge.

Yes - Morgan's Cloud is a business - but surely if you feel passionate about reducing risk and saving lives then ...?

Don't base your sales pitch on engendering fear which might, or might not, be assuaged by a subscription.

If we take part of the message to a logical conclusion then we should cancel the Fastnet, Sydney/Hobart, Volvo, RJK's Clipper Races, etc etc and maybe ban sailing at night or solo

Jonathan
    It is £10, no idea how much that is in Aus$, per year for a wealth of information; I thought the Scots had a reputation for not spending cash.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I thought the Scots had a reputation for not spending cash.
    Nope. That's Yorkshiremen. Your geography is 'aft agley'....

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast