Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Golden globe - one opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    On the other hand the event was sailed in boats that are more like the sort of boats that ordinary people sail.

A Volvo sled is as far from an ordinary cruising yacht as an F1 car is from a family car.
    Fair point, racing boats have indeed radically changed design over the years and it is consequently these which make up the vast majority of contemporary deep-ocean high-lat sailing experiences, especially south of the line.

BTW I am not at all saying that the Golden Globe is a bad idea, nor suggesting that it should be banned, nor that it cannot be done more safely. But after this year's event it is incumbent upon the organisers to figure out how to make it safer, if nothing else to convince the now skeptical rescue authorities.
    Last edited by dom; 11-04-19 at 16:05.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    , if nothing else to convince the now skeptical rescue authorities.
    Has anyone actually said anything from any 'official' position? Might have missed it, though agree in general which is largely the thrust of the article linked to in the first post, but without appeasing any authorities as a reason rather make it better next time so a big chunk of the boats don't get trashed down there. Longue route sailors managed it much better so can be done.

I've read the article, the debate and a random few of the links therein. It always appeared to me that the GGR tried and failed to fall into the same category as maybe Thor Heyerdahl on Kontiki or the people trying to replicate St Bevan's trip or that of Captain Bligh.
    When offshore I've always had someone watching for possible storms and routing me away from them if required, in truth once in three Atlantic crossings. I know that things are many times worse in the Southern ocean but they could avoid the worst of things I'm sure. Brave souls in small boats sailing around the globe is a compelling story, whether they use 21st century equipment is neither here nor there for most people. Taking unnecessary risks and risking others is very important to most.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    It's a very long advert for Jordan Series Drogues, which I gather prevent capsizes, pitchpoling, the King's Evil and dropsy and never fail, except if you don't believe enough. In this respect they are very like Coppercoat, which never fails unless it does, in which case it's the user's fault.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 11-04-19 at 18:58.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    From reports from boats out there in survival conditions the JSD does seem to get the best press.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    None of this is of course possible with Globe type boats and it's now up to the organisors to convince the relevant jurisdictional authorities as to how the race can be made safe.
    Who has jurisdiction over races held almost entirely in international waters?

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I have been thinking about this and I have decided that I favour the race organisers. Sorry to be controversial.

Boats of this size have, obviously, made voyages like this. On the basis of what we all knew at the time, the race rules were pretty sensible. The boats were well equipped. The competitors were well experienced.

Things went wrong. But it was not reasonably foreseeable that they would. Nobody died - rather an important point - and we - the ordinary sailing people of the world- learned a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I have been thinking about this and I have decided that I favour the race organisers. Sorry to be controversial.

Boats of this size have, obviously, made voyages like this. On the basis of what we all knew at the time, the race rules were pretty sensible. The boats were well equipped. The competitors were well experienced.

Things went wrong. But it was not reasonably foreseeable that they would. Nobody died - rather an important point - and we - the ordinary sailing people of the world- learned a good deal.
    What I have learnt over the years is that good weather information combined with good common sailorising sense keeps you out of a lot of bother.

https://maps.sail.cloud/home/event/19

How many non- GGR boats this 'season' got into trouble? One..... in the area where one expects to get into trouble... not the areas where one has lots of sea room.

I don't have a JSD... and the drogue I do have has never been deployed. When I had my little bit of fun down towards Point Nemo three years ago a JSD would have helped not a zot.... big bit of sea came from just abaft starboard beam... totally not part of the confused sea state we were in.... sent us sideways and down at 17 knots... that was horizontal speed off GPS not vertical.... that number on the display and lots of bubbles and froth are all I really recall..... do JSDs work sideways?

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    What I have learnt over the years is that good weather information combined with good common sailorising sense keeps you out of a lot of bother.

https://maps.sail.cloud/home/event/19

How many non- GGR boats this 'season' got into trouble? One..... in the area where one expects to get into trouble... not the areas where one has lots of sea room.

I don't have a JSD... and the drogue I do have has never been deployed. When I had my little bit of fun down towards Point Nemo three years ago a JSD would have helped not a zot.... big bit of sea came from just abaft starboard beam... totally not part of the confused sea state we were in.... sent us sideways and down at 17 knots... that was horizontal speed off GPS not vertical.... that number on the display and lots of bubbles and froth are all I really recall..... do JSDs work sideways?
    Big retraction follows!

Point accepted. It’s the point made by Conrad in “Typhoon”, where McWhirr can’t be bothered with the “Laws of Storms” and takes his ship right into one.

We certainly should always use the best weather information available.

That inevitably means that insistence on trad. nav. is impractical.

I was really thinking about the rules on size and type of boat.
    Last edited by Minn; 11-04-19 at 20:07.

I agree JSD's are perhaps over mentioned, but series drogues do seem to be a step forward in blue water sailing technology, at the moment they seem the front runners in the same way everyone calls a vacuum cleaner a ' hoover '.

I thought the race idea flawed from the outset, even if one tries very hard it's near impossible to avoid modern tech' and why put oneself at a disadvantage ?

What seems a brilliant idea in the pub often seems different in a place like the Southern Ocean - not that I have tried it, and much as I'd like the tee-shirt I'm not really sure I fancy rounding Cape Horn for the sake of it, in a small boat solo or with a bunch of hairy-arsed bastards in a Volvo sled, I've never fancied wrestling alligators or being a lion tamer either, if I want the **** frightened out of me the Portland Race is a lot handier.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast