Default Route West after night in Skomer South Haven?

I am looking at stopping off in Skomer South Haven overnight before heading off to Arklow. I have never been so I have been looking at the Almanac and Pilot books which advise going South of Skokholm when sailing West. None of this guidance is starting from Skomer and I am wondering if its actually ok to leave Skomer Heading West between Skokholm and Skomer up Broad Sound? On the charts there looks to be a route between the races but what's it like in real life ?

And is South Haven ok for an overnight?

cheers

Default Re: Route West after night in Skomer South Haven?

South Haven is a good anchorage unless fresh Southerly when north haven would be an option.
    Going out through Broad Sound is a commonly used route .Keep away from either Island where the tide races seem to be quickest.
    No matter which route you use it will be lumpy if it is fresh wind against tide. The whole area needs treating with respect.

Respect +1 !!!

The whole area is can be lumpy to seriously bad if you don't respect it. I have been 1/2 mile off around the west end of Skomer at slack water in a Westerly F5 and already I could see the race getting ready to unleash. Not saying don't do it but be careful. If the wind is from the south and the tide is running for you then you can go through Jack Sound (two mins of concentration) and anchor to the north. From there you can go west of north to avoid the Bishops and then straight to Arklow.

I have also been around Skomer when it has been flat calm and relaxing - just keep your respect

A perfectly reasonable route. As it takes a bit longer than 13 hours to get to Arklow the route is fairly tide neutral. If on a rising tide then you will be swept a bit towards the Bishops to the north so mind them if the wind is slight and you are not as far off the coast is you hoped.

If you want to stay in North Haven then you should know that flow is slack in Jack sound some considerable time after HW or LW and going through too early can be alarming at best. I came through an hour too early once due to foolish forgetting the need to add an hour due to BST and going 13kt over the ground between sharp rocks certainly made me concentrate. On another occasion, avoiding Jack sound because I didnt want to wait a couple of hours led me to get into a horrid race with 2m breaking waves behind Skomer.

Broad Sound is as it name suggests is fairly wide so just keep to the middle and you will be fine from South Haven. On the other hand you wont lose much time by staying in Dale instead and enjoying good food and drink in the Griffon
    A boat is for going places

North haven can get very rolly on the larger tides, but South haven is better sheltered so long as the wind is not Southerly, but at least you can go further in.
    As noted avoid the Wild goose race and Jack sound on larger tides.