Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanitation hose

Default Sanitation hose

Iím just about to replace all the sanitation hoses from both heads to the holding tank as well as both inlet hoses. Iím looking for any recommendations for the hose please as I only want to replace them infrequently. Also lack of smell and ease of fitting are important. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
    We're all in the same boat......some of us have just been aboard a little longer.

Default Re: Sanitation hose

The grey Seaflow stuff sold by ASAP supplies is very good, much better than the white hard-plastic stuff I replaced.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/sanita...anitation-hose

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    The grey Seaflow stuff sold by ASAP supplies is very good, much better than the white hard-plastic stuff I replaced.

Richard
    Agree. Well worth the additional cost.

This type of butyl hose (other brands are available) also has the advantage that it's much easier to get onto fitting barbs (often difficult in larger bore hoses) than standard hose. So much so I've sometimes used it for non-sanitation purposes (e.g. deck drains, bilge pump outlets) where access is restricted.

Used the Hard plastic stuff , as price difference was considerable from the sanitation hose, I plumbed in 2 toilets running to holding tank and holding tank out, 38mm , it bends ok to get round most corners but not as flexible as the hose.
    Double clipped and have had no issues or smells.
    To cut is a job a good hacksaw , as the wire is the tube needs a little more grunt.
    https://www.asap-supplies.com/sanita...er-hose-507038
    To be honest I would have used the hose recommended above , but In a tight Scots man who could not bring himself to spend that much money on my bodily fluids
    Flying birds have no master

Live: Cascais, Portugal; Yacht: Wemeldinge, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGoose View Post
    Used the Hard plastic stuff , as price difference was considerable from the sanitation hose, I plumbed in 2 toilets running to holding tank and holding tank out, 38mm , it bends ok to get round most corners but not as flexible as the hose.
    Double clipped and have had no issues or smells.
    To cut is a job a good hacksaw , as the wire is the tube needs a little more grunt.
    https://www.asap-supplies.com/sanita...er-hose-507038
    To be honest I would have used the hose recommended above , but In a tight Scots man who could not bring himself to spend that much money on my bodily fluids
    I think that's as close as you'll get to a Scot saying it is worth paying more to get the better stuff. I would agree with him!

I recently plumbed in a new holding tank and replaced all the existing toilet hoses. I used the standard white sanitation hose for any visible pipes and the expensive butyl stuff for sections of hose hidden behind panelling where there were tricky bends. There are pros and cons to each.

White pros: cheaper, easier to wipe clean, smaller outside diameter, looks proper.
    White cons: much harder to bend.

Butyl pros: much easier to bend without heating and to slip over fittings.
    Butyl cons: more expensive, cloth cover not easy to keep clean, larger outside diameter, looks industrial.

My butyl hose covering ended up with a fair amount of my blood on it but that's another story. The point is, it couldn't be wiped clean.
    Last edited by Poey50; 06-04-19 at 21:03.

Thanks to you all. Sounds like I need to start saving, buy butyl and use gloves when fitting it.
    We're all in the same boat......some of us have just been aboard a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    Good God that is expensive for a piece of pipe 1 metre long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Fever View Post
    Good God that is expensive for a piece of pipe 1 metre long.
    Agreed, but having spent the best part of an hour trying to get a white plastic waste outlet hose onto the tail of my skin fitting, and subsequently buying the butyl one - where fitting took 3 mins (with some help from an exhaust pipe expander), I reckon it's money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Poey50 View Post
    Butyl cons: more expensive, cloth cover not easy to keep clean, larger outside diameter, looks industrial.
    I do agree that on runs where the butyl hose is visible it does look rather industrial with that white stripe and red writing. However, I soon discovered that because it is flexible it was possible to spin in around so that the white stripe is hidden away on the "far side". All you can then see is the grey pipe which is not too ugly.

Richard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast