Default Plastimo furler-which way to turn to add furling line?

Hello everybody,think I might have done it wrong last year.I will be re-loading the furling line onto the drum before attaching the headsail. Can anybody tell me which way to turn the drum as I add the furling line?Does it matter which way?The previous owner left the white polyprop as shown in the photograph.Does anybody know what purpose this serves?Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Plastimo furler-which way to turn to add furling line?

Quote Originally Posted by crown22 View Post
    Hello everybody,think I might have done it wrong last year.I will be re-loading the furling line onto the drum before attaching the headsail. Can anybody tell me which way to turn the drum as I add the furling line?Does it matter which way?The previous owner left the white polyprop as shown in the photograph.Does anybody know what purpose this serves?Thanks in advance.
    You must load the furling line onto the drum so that when the sail is furled the UV protective stripe is on the outside

If the stripe is on the stb side feed the furling line on from the port side and wind the drum clockwise. Vice versa if the stripe is on the port side of the sail.
    Last edited by VicS; 06-04-19 at 19:17.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    You must load the furling line onto the drum so that when the sail is furled the UV protective stripe is on the outside

If the stripe is on the stb side feed the furling line on from the port side and wind the drum clockwise. Vice versa if the stripe is on the port side of the sail.
    I agree:
    UV strip on starboard side of sail, wind reefing line on clockwise,
    UV strip on port, wind reefing line on anti-clockwise.

I am not convinced it makes any real difference from which side the reefing line approaches the drum. (In the photo looks like yours is set up to come from starboard.)

Thanks very much guys-I hadn't even thought about the UV strip as an indicator! Any idea what the purpose of the white polyprop is? There is a strange
    "connector" at the top that I have not seen before.The bearings seem a bit grumpy to me.Any idea how to get some lubrication into them without detaching the forestay? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by crown22 View Post
    Thanks very much guys-I hadn't even thought about the UV strip as an indicator! Any idea what the purpose of the white polyprop is? There is a strange
    "connector" at the top that I have not seen before.The bearings seem a bit grumpy to me.Any idea how to get some lubrication into them without detaching the forestay? Thanks again.
    Perhaps you could download a user manual, which might help you.

I tie my furler together just like that when I leave it for the winter without the sail present. I do it because the furler line is still on the drum and I don't want it to unravel and lose its position on the drum.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    I agree:
    UV strip on starboard side of sail, wind reefing line on clockwise,
    UV strip on port, wind reefing line on anti-clockwise.

I am not convinced it makes any real difference from which side the reefing line approaches the drum. (In the photo looks like yours is set up to come from starboard.)
    I only meant to feed the line on to the port side of the drum, not necessarily that the furling line should be on the port side of the boat.

Sod’s law dictates that it is the opposite way to how you put it on! I took a photo of mine and refer to it every year! It is surprising how useful a phone on your camera is and how often I use it to record details on the boat that I might forget.
    He said, "All men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them."

To put it another way:

If the furler is to be turned clockwise to wind on the sail, it needs to be wound anti-clockwise to wind on the reefing line, and vice-versa.

If you have a UV protection strip on your sail, that will dictate which way round it needs to be wound on (so you end up with the UV strip on the outside). If the sail has the strip on the port side of the sail it needs to be wound on clockwise, and vice versa.

Apropos the 'white polyprop'.

When a headsail is used part-furled/'reefed' or furled away in heavy weather, the gustiness and jerky boat motion can load and unload the furling line - which is what's keeping the sail from totally unrolling. That line in turn is often just secured in a small jam-cleat or mini jammer. Should the line come free - and that often happens when the boat is unattended - the sail is free to unfurl and, in bad weather, can flog itself to shreds.

Such shredded headsails are often seen in exposed moorings 'the morning after' a gale.

The purpose of the 'white polyprop' is to take the snatch-loads off the furling line/jammer and ensure the sail cannot unfurl.