Default Holyhead Coastguard Radio Antenna Locations

Was near Lancaster today with my new Cobra VHF Handheld and was surprised to hear Holyhead Coastguard on Channel 16.About 70 miles away? They must have "relay" transmitters? Maybe they are maintaining radio watch across all of the middle Irish Sea with no Liverpool or Fleetwood coastguard stations. Very re-assuring to hear anyway.
    Last edited by crown22; 06-04-19 at 18:58.

Default Re: Holyhead Coastguard Radio Antenna Locations

Quote Originally Posted by crown22 View Post
    Was near Lancaster today with my new Cobra VHF Handheld and was surprised to hear Holyhead Coastguard on Channel 16.About 70 miles away? They must have "relay" transmitters? Maybe they are maintaining radio watch across all of the middle Irish Sea with no Liverpool or Fleetwood coastguard stations. Very re-assuring to hear anyway.
    Yes they are listening to all of the Irish Sea (on our side at least). They have multiple transmitter sites.

Map here: https://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopi...&t=5780#p31616

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    Yes they are listening to all of the Irish Sea (on our side at least). They have multiple transmitter sites.

Map here: https://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopi...&t=5780#p31616
    Liverpool and Belfast transmissions can be heard clearly off the north Dublin coast.

Quote Originally Posted by crown22 View Post
    Was near Lancaster today with my new Cobra VHF Handheld and was surprised to hear Holyhead Coastguard on Channel 16.About 70 miles away?
    I'd be disappointed if you couldn't hear them as you're in their area these days. Liverpool are no more so HH has all their transmitters. The one on the IoM covers a huge area and is cleary audible well up the Antrim coast. You can usually tell which transmitter is clearest when they broadcast the channels for the weather forecast.

We've always been able to pick up the Irish coastguard in Cardigan Bay off Barmouth.

All the CG sites are now networked together, and any site can transmit/receive through any aerial or combination of aerials.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Thanks for the information guys