Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shore power splitter

My new boat has two shore power sockets. One for the aircondition and for general shore power connection. I also have two separate shore power cables. The usual 3-pin 16A male plug on one side (shore) and the female side for the boat. Could anybody recommend me a good quality shore power splitter (one 3 pin male - two 3 pin female)?
    Thanks
    Keep sailing

Default Re: Shore power splitter

Is this what you want
    If so look at caravanning supplies websites eg https://www.towsure.com/3-way-carava...ains-connector

Dont overload the pontoon outlet by trying to take more than 16 amps.
    2 way splitters are also available.
    Last edited by VicS; 07-04-19 at 07:55.

Quote Originally Posted by cmedsailor View Post
    My new boat has two shore power sockets. One for the aircondition and for general shore power connection. I also have two separate shore power cables. The usual 3-pin 16A male plug on one side (shore) and the female side for the boat. Could anybody recommend me a good quality shore power splitter (one 3 pin male - two 3 pin female)?
    Thanks
    Not a good idea. Suspect that your a/c will take most load. Combine the two and you will be constantly tripping the shore breaker. May also cause excessive heat in the single socket. Don't do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Blackwood View Post
    Not a good idea. Suspect that your a/c will take most load. Combine the two and you will be constantly tripping the shore breaker. May also cause excessive heat in the single socket. Don't do it!
    The problem then is that you are taking up two 16A outlets and these are often in short supply in busy marinas so someone is, not unreasonably, going to unplug one of your lines whilst you are not onboard. I've seen/done this several times so I wonder whether people with two lines should indicate with a label which one has the lowest priority.

The ideal solution would be a 32A male to 2 x 16A female as 32A outlets often seem to be available.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    The problem then is that you are taking up two 16A outlets and these are often in short supply in busy marinas so someone is, not unreasonably, going to unplug one of your lines whilst you are not onboard. I've seen/done this several times so I wonder whether people with two lines should indicate with a label which one has the lowest priority.

The ideal solution would be a 32A male to 2 x 16A female as 32A outlets often seem to be available.

Richard
    Fair comment about taking up two supply outlets. However it does not solve the problem of electrical loading. It is possible for a MCB to take around 110% overload for a prolonged period, this applies irrespective of whether you have one or two plugs in. However it is more likely with two. If you take two 16 amps from a 32 amp socket you can end up pulling 32 amp+ through a 16 amp socket! A complete No-No! My professional opinion and advice is don't do it.
    As a matter of interest we have had socket burn out at my club because of the use of a splitter.

If you take two 16 amps from a 32 amp socket you can end up pulling 32 amp+ through a 16 amp socket!
    How does this work, unless the boat is already wired wrong? Surely any system that ends with a 16 amp plug is going to be designed not to draw more than 16 amps - in the case of a boat by having a 16 amp breaker on the incoming supply?

Agree that if the boat has been designed with two 16 amp inlets because it needs more than 16 amps to run all the toys, then trying to run it all off one is going to cause problems. Shouldn't be dangerous problems if everything works as it should, just inconvenient problems of constantly tripping breakers. Richard's suggestion of a 32A plug is a good one if the sockets are available where you sail (I'm not sure how common they are around here, though they do exist).

Pete

I’d echo the point about taking up 2 outlets leaving others with none. My usual rule if somebody has taken two is to wait until the air conditioner goes off (assuming they have the normal noisy splash into the water near my open hatches) and pull out the plug to put mine in. Better if they are awake or around so I can ask but some people are very aggressive about keeping 2 and denying others one.

Fair comment about taking up two supply outlets. However it does not solve the problem of electrical loading. It is possible for a MCB to take around 110% overload for a prolonged period, this applies irrespective of whether you have one or two plugs in. However it is more likely with two. If you take two 16 amps from a 32 amp socket you can end up pulling 32 amp+ through a 16 amp socket! A complete No-No! My professional opinion and advice is don't do it.
    As a matter of interest we have had socket burn out at my club because of the use of a splitter.
    I don't understand your reasoning. He's talking about 1 x 32amp plug which splits into 2 x 16amp sockets, one for each of his onboard separate systems. How can he pull 32+ amps through one 16amp socket?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    I don't understand your reasoning. He's talking about 1 x 32amp plug which splits into 2 x 16amp sockets, one for each of his onboard separate systems. How can he pull 32+ amps through one 16amp socket?
    The objection surely is that he would have 2 x leads, boat connectors and some internal wiring all rated at 16 amps but "protected" by the 32 amp circuit breaker in the pontoon power pedestal. They should be protected by 16 amp breakers or fuses at source.

Slight thread drift but in the event of no spare sockets I have a splitter and after unplugging the one in use, plug my splitter in and reconnect them both. No problems so far
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast