Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Captain's Mate App Cruising Association

I'd be interested in getting access to this app but membership of the CA is pricey and I doubt I'd get a lot more benefit from membership given my location etc. I've sent an e mail to the CA yesterday asking if there's a cheaper associate membership arrangement which would give me access. In the meantime I'd really like to see a sample of the information available on the app and I'm wondering if someone would be kind enough to share a sample with me - ideally I'd like to get a sample for one of the Aegean Islands as I have other pilot books I can compare against to assess relative value.
    Apologies if acceding to this request is in breach of any CA rules or otherwise upsets anyone. It's definitely not my intention nor do I want to freeload. I just want to see a sample before I commit to paying.

Default Re: Captain's Mate App Cruising Association

The CA website isn't very clear on this, but membership is cheaper for non-UK residents such as yourself. (I believe the rationale is that you're less able to make use of CA House facilities). I think I pay a little over £90.

Captain's Mate is basically an assembly of member reports for particular locations, searchable by name, area, or on a map. As well as obvious places like harbours, marinas, many of the reports are on anchorages. Many members are quite diligent at completing these, so they can be quite startlingly up-to-date.

If you want to give me a couple of locations in your neck of the woods, I'd be happy to PM you with summary of the Captain's Mate info on them.

P.S. You can also get a £25-off discount code for the first year of membership from existing CA members.
    Last edited by macd; 07-04-19 at 10:24.
    All epigrams are false

It's just comments on ports and anchorages in text format. I have it loaded on my iPad and internal GPS takes the Captains Mate map to my location automatically and shows the locations around me that have had notes added. There are no chartlets. Fo ray marina comments have been added since 2017: about helpful staff, services available, a fact that a new mobile mast has been erected in the area improving mobile phone reception, a statement that the wifi has been improved, another that there is anew additional link bridge which is less steep than the older one.

If you post the island you are interested in I can summarise the text for you. Or PM me.

I am a member of both the RYA and CA. Both serve different purposes but I find the CA communicates better, in greater detail and on many subjects that are of interest to me. Also I will be using their extensive services to plan some northern cruises and staying in one of their cabins when I visit London for a Concert later in the year.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Thanks for the replies. Ikaria, Mykonos, Paros and Naxos all on my planned itinerary starting late June so if someone could share data on one of these with me I can compare with what I've got already from pilot guides, noonsite and wiki. Post or PM which ever you think appropriate.

The CA has some pretty good discounts arranged. I save my membership every year just from the 10% discount on marina charges. In Turkey there are discounts on things like liferaft servicing as well so you might find paying for membership quite worthwhile.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

I sure the CA app is great , and in no way am I running it down or wish to run it down , but there a weath of info all over the net ,
    Here one you may like to look at .
    https://www.noforeignland.com/home/map/
    Navionics also have note on harbours , then although not so details is noonsite ,
    One of my favour is google earth , the list just goes on and on .
    But remember they are all just different people views you may just turn up and find what someone thinks is a good anchorage or harbours turn out to be a dump in your view
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    I sure the CA app is great , and in no way am I running it down or wish to run it down , but there a weath of info all over the net ,
    Navionics also have note on harbours , then although not so details is noonsite ,
    But remember they are all just different people views you may just turn up and find what someone thinks is a good anchorage or harbours turn out to be a dump in your view
    Thanks Vic. That site is new to me so I'll have a good look at it. As you say there's a lot of free information available to supplement pilot books and navionics but I'd still like to have a look at the CM app to see how much it would add for occasional less experienced cruisers like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    Thanks Vic. That site is new to me so I'll have a good look at it. As you say there's a lot of free information available to supplement pilot books and navionics but I'd still like to have a look at the CM app to see how much it would add for occasional less experienced cruisers like me.
    Also try Navily
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    The beauty of Captains Mate is that it has thousands of members who make entries on a regular basis. Adding comments is very easy indeed, so in general it is possible to read advice that is only months old. Compare this with CruisersWiki, for example, which is remarkably complicated for authors and consequently entries are few and rarely up to date.

But as editor for Aegean Greece I have some sympathy with what you say. I frequently read comments that are almost diametrically opposed but it doesn't take long to spot the contributors who take a great deal of pleasing!
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

I joined CA last year, not really sure it would be of benefit, but have decided to continue. Cruising continuously means that you are always looking for detailed information and others' views. That comes from the Captain's Mate app. There are also discounts. I am far from London so never use their physical resources, but happy with what I receive. A forum query, for example, about Corsica produced an email from the CA's local rep.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast