Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Time to think about motor boat

Thanks guys for all the suggestion , please keep them coming
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

It is a real quandry, this discovery of a Motor Boat that will acheive all of the 'OP's needs
    With a Pal we are looking for this elusive craft
    'Seaworthy' is the Thing
    Plus the ability to venture in and on Canals and Inland seas
    The two are hard to combine
    Air Draft and the underneath bit etc!
    Lots of boats like the steel Dutch built jobbies
    Dislacement only though mostly, which beggars up ploughing through the Irish Sea (which is one of the Thing's needed to do) because it flows about a bit rapid in that area
    Our Target initially is to Cruise the Irish sea and thence to the Scottish Isles and maybe the west coast of Ireland
    4 berths minimum and an Aft Cabin
    Two Heads as well
    Plus a 'raised' steering position, if not a fly bridge
    The 'Broom' type vessels do not seem to me to be the 'Answer' as they are not serious 'rough weather' vessels IMHO
    'Nimbus' has come closest so far in this Search
    The Grand Banks types are closing in
    Botnia Targas too
    Really though I don't like outdrives
    That is a Thread on its own as we know
    Like anchors
    So please People don't go there!!
    I realise that air draft might be a problem for navigating some European waterways
    An outside Helm postion however is reaaly important in this search
    Like 'saiaboutvic. We too await some advice and imput
    Regards
    K
    Jerk of all Trades Master of None

Kawasaki
    I fear your friend will have to buy two boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawasaki View Post
    It is a real quandry, this discovery of a Motor Boat that will acheive all of the 'OP's needs
    The 'Broom' type vessels do not seem to me to be the 'Answer' as they are not serious 'rough weather' vessels IMHO
    I would be intersted to hear your rationale for saying this Kawasaki. Obviously it varies between models but there are some very seaworthy Brooms. Our 41 was excellent and others, such as the 38, 415, 42 have a reputation for the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    I would be intersted to hear your rationale for saying this Kawasaki. Obviously it varies between models but there are some very seaworthy Brooms. Our 41 was excellent and others, such as the 38, 415, 42 have a reputation for the same.
    Sure Oceanfroggie regularly cruises from the lower Shannon onto the west coast in his Ocean 38, travelling singlehanded in pretty snotty weather if I recall. One of his mates completed an Irish circumnavigation at displacement speeds in an elderly Ocean 37. The 'offshore' planing broom's enjoy pretty fearsome rep. as seaboats with deep hulls and low CoG's, protected driving positions aft and good build quality.

Not sure I'd get off a modern Broom and onto a Nimbus off the west coast of Ireland.

On the cruises on company I was part of, the Brooms and the Botnia Targa were the boats that coped best with the rougher conditions.
    The Brooms kept ploughing on at 20kts across 1.5m-2m waves and the Botnia Targa accelerated to get more air ...

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    We been sailors for some 40 years , part of that full time livaboards and it's getting close to the time when we always said one day we buy a motor boat and explore the rivers and canals of Europe .
    So here our problem , we know nothing at all about motor boats ,
    Except they like to drink fuel .
    So the question is , our interest would be in a good sea going motor cruiser ,
    Most import,
    12 mts or under that comfortable to live on full time ,
    With good cruising speed and not going to bleed us dry when it come to fuel .
    I know this is a bit like how long is a bit of string , but we have to start some where .
    Thanks guy for àny Input .
    As usual the majority of this forum vote for speed to cope with the sea….. Bluewater sailors also manage in full displacement as do LRC Motorboats…..
    A boat for both Canals and Sea could be like this one : https://www.aquanaut.nl/en/motoryacht-model/ev-1300-ii
    Its very close to the 12 m you ask for, and there are many others -

It is not uncommon for long term experienced skippers to end up with a Broom of some description having been through most other types of boats over the years.
    Although being a bit of an unknown quantity in the " Med", in more challenging waters and climates the boat is considered to be more than equal to the task.
    A quality boat built and designed for practicality and longevity, proper sized bollards, wide side decks etc rather than a fashion statement.

Seems alright...

Sorry Gre2 not to reply to your valid question, I will asap. Plus a story which is similar to the 'OP's' origional enquiry/post
    Regards
    K
    Jerk of all Trades Master of None

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast