Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dover to Blackwater. First time anchoring (Harty Ferry, The Swale?)

Hi, I am moving my boat from Dover to the River Blackwater. I am thinking of doing it in 2 days, stopping overnight at the Swale (open to other suggestions). It looks like Harty Ferry could be a good place to moor up (ideally get a free buoy). Obviously we would like to visit the local pub that evening. How do you get there? I appreciate you will probably use your dinghy but what happens if the tide is falling and you return to mud? Also do you just leave your dinghy unattended? Might seem silly questions but this is all new to me. Thanks.

Default Re: Dover to Blackwater. First time anchoring (Harty Ferry, The Swale?)

I once visited Harty Ferry by land, as we walked out on the causeway for a look the local mutants ( there are a great many on Sheppey ) thought it a great laugh to change direction of their clay pigeon shoot next to the pub and pepper us with shot landing sizzling in the mud all around.

I certainly wouldn't leave a tender or anything else unattended anywhere on Sheppey, it's a horrible place full of gangsters from London - as evidenced from visiting other pubs with the traditional cease in conversation when one walks in - I'd go straight past !
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Haha thanks for advice but the reviews of the Ferry House Inn are very good. I take your point about leaving the tender. I’ve seen that others have anchored at Harty Ferry and visited so intrigued how they did it. It’s a Cat with a low draft if that helps.

The only time we visited Harty Ferry was 1973, so I'm not going to be much help. I do remember that the water from an artesian well was especially good, if it's still available.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Not been on the northern side, but if you are careful about choice of mooring on the southern side you can pick one up. It is possible to walk round to a couple of pubs on the mainland from there, so you do have options both sides. There are a couple at Oare which you could get to either by walking round the sea wall or up the track, or for an even longer walk there is the Shipwrights Arms at the head of Oare Creek. On Sheppy the Ferry House is much closer.

I have left a dinghy there for hours in the evening with no problem - it is not very busy - some other boaters, dog walkers etc.

If you wish to anchor on the northern side of the channel then that is also good. The tides can run pretty hard through the Swale, so if you are rowing it can be hard work, but It looks as though the northern side is more gentle - and more peaceful if you get wind against tide.

The causeway makes landing possible - the mud each side is very gloopy. The causeway half way down is muddy so choose footware accordingly.

Thanks. From reviews it looks like the Shipwrights is worth a visit too. I guess I'll see where I can find a mooring. If north I'll go Ferry House and if South shipwrights. Dinghy has an outboard so still worried about leaving it. I guess we can just row it.

One of my all time favourite sailing memories is of waking up at Harty Ferry one beautiful calm morning in the 1980s, having anchored there on our way from Blackwater to Dover. My annoyance at having to get up at dawn to catch the tide immediately gone when I came on deck to a stunning vista, with a little mist burning off as the sun came up, and birds the only sound.

I've always intended to return, but never quite made it yet.

Sounds great. I’m looking forward to it.

I have anchored/moored at Harty Ferry a couple of times in the last 5 years. The first time we went to the pub on the north shore. The second time we just overnighted on the mooring. No problems on either occasion and really peaceful.

If I was making that passage I would only stop over in Harty if I was looking for a peaceful evening on board at one with nature. If I was planning on finding a pub ashore I'd carry on a bit further and go into Queenborough where I could go on the ATL or grab a mooring and use the trot boat. If you really want to go to Harty then if you were lucky with tides and weather the Ferry House is a practicable option, but it's one heck of a hike on the south side into the pubs at Oare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast